Re: [cw] [SW] Confused about creating new Arcane Backgrounds

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2012
      One approach is to duplicate the items, but it's also possible to add requirements to existing items without having to replace them, via the addreq macro. That's how 50 Fathoms and Evernight handle this issue.

      On 12/30/12 8:23 AM, Michael Sprague wrote:
      Good point ... there are several settings that have this issue.

      What about adding the specific Arcane Background Edge to the requirements field for each power?  Yeah ... that means overriding every single power in your template, but other than adding the new requirement, it should be cut-n-paste.

    • Tim Hannon
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2012
        OK, cool. I thought there might be a step missing in the directions, but I wasn't sure. It looks like I was able to get this going. Thanks!

        On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Bruce Kvam <bkvam@...> wrote:

        Sorry about the confusion. You should still define the arcane background as described, but the documentation omits another step that should be taken to make New Power and Power Points to work with those new arcane backgrounds.

        You need to add additional requirements for those Edges with the addreq macro. Check out Evernight and 50 Fathoms for examples. The exact requirements you need will depend on how you define your arcane backgrounds: for example, you can simplify the requirements for New Power by adding additional categories to your arcane background.

        For example, 50 Fathoms has four ABs with Earth, Water, Fire and Air categories, but additional common categories to make the addreq macros for New Power and Power Points simpler.

        I've updated the help file to include this information.

        On 12/29/12 11:03 AM, Tim Hannon wrote:
        This is one of the things about the Savage Worlds template that I continually struggle to understand, and I'm still having issues with it.

        I'm trying to create a datasheet for a new setting with Powers. To do so, the help file says that we should first create an Arcane Background Edges entry. For the Category field, "If you want to use the standard requirements for powers, enter 'Arcane Background'. Otherwise, enter a different category description."

        In this case, each Arcane Background will have a different Power set than other Arcane Backgrounds in the setting, so the instructions seem to indicate that I should enter a unique Category here. However, if I do that, than having the Arcane Background Edge won't satisfy the Requirements for other Edges, such as Power Points. What should be entered here, then?

        --
        The Loremaster                                       AIM: loremaster2085
        Organized Chaos, Inc., est 1992        Gmail:theloremaster@...