Re: Any Windows 8 Issues?

  • madirishmanphd
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
      I have a copy of Windows 8 I haven't fiddled with yet and I've been looking for an excuse. I'll install it on a virtual machine with Metacreator and play around with it today.

      Cheers,
      Patrick

      --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, "kilgs" <kilgs@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the quick response!
      >
      > --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Kvam <bkvam@> wrote:
      > >
      > > We have no reports one way or the other, but expect it will work, though
      > > we have not tried it ourselves. It will of course run as an old-style
      > > Windows app and will not be able to take any advantage of new interface
      > > features.
      > >
      > > Since it's a mouse-oriented application, some of the interface elements
      > > may be a bit small to hit conveniently with your finger on a touch
      > > screen. One way around that is to use the keyboard instead; nearly every
      > > feature in Metacreator can be accessed through the keyboard.
      > >
      > > On 11/23/12 1:23 PM, kilgs wrote:
      > > > About to buy new PC and am wondering if MC (Ars) will run fine on it or not.

    • madirishmanphd
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
        Hmm, well, I've fooled around with Windows 8 Pro for a while with Metacreator and all my custom files. Keep in mind I'm not using a Surface tablet or anything, but other than the fact that I find navigation in Windows 8 to be a nightmare, Metacreator runs perfectly fine so far, in my experience. :^\

        Best,
        Patrick
        --
        Patrick M. Murphy, Ph.D.
        Mad Irishman Productions

        --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, "madirishmanphd" <madirishman@...> wrote:

        > I have a copy of Windows 8 I haven't fiddled with yet and I've been looking for an excuse. I'll install it on a virtual machine with Metacreator and play around with it today.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Patrick
        >
        > --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, "kilgs" <kilgs@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks for the quick response!
        > >
        > > --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Kvam <bkvam@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > We have no reports one way or the other, but expect it will work, though
        > > > we have not tried it ourselves. It will of course run as an old-style
        > > > Windows app and will not be able to take any advantage of new interface
        > > > features.
        > > >
        > > > Since it's a mouse-oriented application, some of the interface elements
        > > > may be a bit small to hit conveniently with your finger on a touch
        > > > screen. One way around that is to use the keyboard instead; nearly every
        > > > feature in Metacreator can be accessed through the keyboard.

      • Steve S.
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
          On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM, madirishmanphd
          <madirishman@...> wrote:

          > ... other than the fact that I find navigation in Windows 8 to be a nightmare ...

          <sigh>
          I used to be of the opinion that "if you've used one WIMP interface,
          you've used them all!" but every time MS produces a major revision of
          their UI, I realize how much that's NOT the case...
          >:-P

          I have yet to see any convincing argument that ANY of these changes
          have produced any genuine usability/productivity improvements. The
          only exception I can think of is the multiple-virtual-desktop paradigm
          (where each particular "project" can have its own complete suite of
          windows/apps/layout/etc).

          --
          "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of
          childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -CS Lewis
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 25, 2012
            Great. Thanks for checking it out and letting us know!

            On 11/24/12 8:10 PM, madirishmanphd wrote:

            > Hmm, well, I've fooled around with Windows 8 Pro for a while with Metacreator and all my custom files. Keep in mind I'm not using a Surface tablet or anything, but other than the fact that I find navigation in Windows 8 to be a nightmare, Metacreator runs perfectly fine so far, in my experience. :^\

          • kilgs
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 10, 2013
              I can confirm no issues with Windows 8 myself.