Any Windows 8 Issues?

  • kilgs
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 23, 2012
      About to buy new PC and am wondering if MC (Ars) will run fine on it or not.
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 23, 2012
        We have no reports one way or the other, but expect it will work, though
        we have not tried it ourselves. It will of course run as an old-style
        Windows app and will not be able to take any advantage of new interface
        features.

        Since it's a mouse-oriented application, some of the interface elements
        may be a bit small to hit conveniently with your finger on a touch
        screen. One way around that is to use the keyboard instead; nearly every
        feature in Metacreator can be accessed through the keyboard.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 23, 2012
          Thanks for the quick response!

          --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Kvam <bkvam@...> wrote:

          > We have no reports one way or the other, but expect it will work, though
          > we have not tried it ourselves. It will of course run as an old-style
          > Windows app and will not be able to take any advantage of new interface
          > features.
          >
          > Since it's a mouse-oriented application, some of the interface elements
          > may be a bit small to hit conveniently with your finger on a touch
          > screen. One way around that is to use the keyboard instead; nearly every
          > feature in Metacreator can be accessed through the keyboard.
          >
          > On 11/23/12 1:23 PM, kilgs wrote:
          > > About to buy new PC and am wondering if MC (Ars) will run fine on it or not.

        • madirishmanphd
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
            I have a copy of Windows 8 I haven't fiddled with yet and I've been looking for an excuse. I'll install it on a virtual machine with Metacreator and play around with it today.

            Cheers,
            Patrick

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
              Hmm, well, I've fooled around with Windows 8 Pro for a while with Metacreator and all my custom files. Keep in mind I'm not using a Surface tablet or anything, but other than the fact that I find navigation in Windows 8 to be a nightmare, Metacreator runs perfectly fine so far, in my experience. :^\

              Best,
              Patrick
              --
              Patrick M. Murphy, Ph.D.
              Mad Irishman Productions

              --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, "madirishmanphd" <madirishman@...> wrote:

              > I have a copy of Windows 8 I haven't fiddled with yet and I've been looking for an excuse. I'll install it on a virtual machine with Metacreator and play around with it today.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Patrick
              >
              > --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, "kilgs" <kilgs@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks for the quick response!
              > >
              > > --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Kvam <bkvam@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > We have no reports one way or the other, but expect it will work, though
              > > > we have not tried it ourselves. It will of course run as an old-style
              > > > Windows app and will not be able to take any advantage of new interface
              > > > features.
              > > >
              > > > Since it's a mouse-oriented application, some of the interface elements
              > > > may be a bit small to hit conveniently with your finger on a touch
              > > > screen. One way around that is to use the keyboard instead; nearly every
              > > > feature in Metacreator can be accessed through the keyboard.

            • Steve S.
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
                On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM, madirishmanphd
                <madirishman@...> wrote:

                > ... other than the fact that I find navigation in Windows 8 to be a nightmare ...

                <sigh>
                I used to be of the opinion that "if you've used one WIMP interface,
                you've used them all!" but every time MS produces a major revision of
                their UI, I realize how much that's NOT the case...
                >:-P

                I have yet to see any convincing argument that ANY of these changes
                have produced any genuine usability/productivity improvements. The
                only exception I can think of is the multiple-virtual-desktop paradigm
                (where each particular "project" can have its own complete suite of
                windows/apps/layout/etc).

                --
                "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of
                childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -CS Lewis
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 25, 2012
                  Great. Thanks for checking it out and letting us know!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 10, 2013
                    I can confirm no issues with Windows 8 myself.