Help a newbie - Adding support for The Laundry Files to Cthulhu

  • danielhetberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2012
      Hi all.

      I'm running The Laundry File RPG for a couple of friends, and got Metacreator because it looked like a nifty tool to quickly generate NPCs, configure print templates and generally have a consistent look and feel to my NPC collection.

      As I now noticed, it's not quite as simple.

      I'm currently in the process of adding occupations and so on in a custom data sheet, and progress is slow and frustrating (not least due to the help file almost exclusively referring to plain-text macro code). I'm used to programming and macro languages, but the documentation on this one really gives me a hard time.

      I want to accomplish the following steps, and I'd be grateful for any and all help:

      1.) Add Laundry Files (TLF) occupations and skills. I think I figured out how to do this and just need to enter all the remaining data.

      2.) Create a character sheet template for TLF that takes some character creation process tweaks (compared to CoC) into account:
      2a) Use the Occupations and Skills defined in the above data sheet. I'm failing at this point already - my data just doesn't show up after loading my data sheet and creating a new charsheet template (starting with the CoC template).
      2b) Use Personality Types (skill templates) instead of personal interest skill points.
      2c) Add bonuses to certain skills depending on the Laundry Department the character works in (select a second "occupation", adds flat bonuses to a couple of skills)

      3.) Define a print template for foldable NPC handouts (image and obvious stats on one page, other stats and GM-only info on back/inside).

      I'm very unhappy to report that I'm completely dissatisfied with Metacreator so far. The program looks well thought out, and it can most likely do what I intend to do with it, but the help file is totally unsuited to supporting someone just starting out with the program.

      If any AlterEgo representatives are reading this list, feel free to convince me that I'm totally wrong or that I missed a vital part of the support structure (forums, help file, tutorials, walk throughs, ...), but given a choice at the moment I'd rather have my money and six hours of time investment back.