Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Savage Worlds: Power which increases Die type of skills

Expand Messages
  • Fyndhal
    I m trying to create the following power (it would be a permanent effect.) - Bio-Mods Requirements: Novice Power Points: 1 Effect: Gain a plus one die bonus to
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2011
      I'm trying to create the following power (it would be a permanent effect.)

      - Bio-Mods
      Requirements: Novice
      Power Points: 1
      Effect: Gain a plus one die bonus to a single skill to a maximum of d12+1 or a new skill at d4. The character must decide which when the enhancement is taken. He may increase these skills as normal. Available Skills: Climbing, Fighting, Notice, Stealth, Swimming, and Tracking.

      I attempted to use the logic behind the Super Skills power in Necessary Evil, but the convoluted math in that may not even be giving correct results (A character with d4 Str and d4 fighting is only charged 2 points to increase his fighting die to d12? Shouldn't it be 4 points?)

      So! Simple problem. 1 power point = 1 skill increase, regardless of stat/level up to a max of d12+1.

      Help?
    • Support
      You don t show what mechanism you re trying to use to give the die bonus, so I can t say why it doesn t work the way you expect it to. To give a die bonus to
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2011

        You don't show what mechanism you're trying to use to give the die bonus, so I can't say why it doesn't work the way you expect it to.

        To give a die bonus to Climbing use the following adjustment:
        b_climbing+2
        
        Check out the help section on adjustment bonuses. The section on skills contains the following information:

        Permanent Skill Bonuses

        To indicate a bonus to a skill that should always be displayed with the skill:

        "Skills:Swimming"+2

        This will cause the following display of the skill: Swimming d6+2.

        See Bonus Stacking to add bonuses that don't stack.

        To indicate a die type increase in a skill you must adjust a variable whose name is formed by "b_" and the skill name with all non-alphabetic characters removed. For example, the die-type bonus variable for Swimming would be b_Swimming; for Knowledge (Arcana) it would be b_KnowledgeArcana.

        b_Swimming+2
        b_KnowledgeArcana+2

        Above d12 the adjustment must be by 1. This is how the Professional and Expert Edges increase the die type for skills and traits.


        On 10/15/11 10:13 AM, Fyndhal wrote:
        I'm trying to create the following power (it would be a permanent effect.)
        
        - Bio-Mods
        Requirements: Novice
        Power Points: 1
        Effect: Gain a plus one die bonus to a single skill to a maximum of d12+1 or a new skill at d4. The character must decide which when the enhancement is taken. He may increase these skills as normal. Available Skills: Climbing, Fighting, Notice, Stealth, Swimming, and Tracking.
        
        I attempted to use the logic behind the Super Skills power in Necessary Evil, but the convoluted math in that may not even be giving correct results (A character with d4 Str and d4 fighting is only charged 2 points to increase his fighting die to d12?  Shouldn't it be 4 points?)
        
        So!  Simple problem.  1 power point = 1 skill increase, regardless of stat/level up to a max of d12+1.
        
        
        

      • Fyndhal
        At the moment, I ve reverted all my alterations and am using the code straight from Necessary Evil (albeit, with names changed where needed.) Here s the code
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2011
          At the moment, I've reverted all my alterations and am using the code straight from Necessary Evil (albeit, with names changed where needed.)

          Here's the code I'm using.
          From the .cst file:
          defile SavageWorlds.def list Skills catname Skills var Skills 0 listprompt
          "%0l!Total Cost%-5rx|Skills|" levelprompt "Die Type" font "MS Sans Serif"
          8 charset 0 pitch 0
          loc -1 -1 253 288
          listheader "%0l!Skill%-15r!Die Type%-5r!Cost" end

          From the .mds file:
          $$superpower Bio-Mods 1/Level NoMaxSkill+1 ?clear $@Ruleset='Outreach'::Character sheet must be based on Outreach.cst x>=0 ceil(x/2) 0
          opt begin adj "Skill Points" availSkills+x 0 noprint keepold end end
          textline script "EditSuperSkill();" editdlg 6

          list "Genetic Engineering"
          begin text "Super Skill Level" 4 dispexp "format('l: %d', showDie(o))" noprint keepold end

          From the load.inc file:
          func SSLevToPts(lvl) {
          if (lvl < 4)
          return 0;
          elseif (lvl = 4)
          return 2;
          elseif (lvl <= 12)
          return lvl / 2;
          endif
          return lvl - 6;
          }

          func ssCost(lev, device, activation, slowActivation) {
          local bc;
          bc = ceil(lev/2) - (activation ? 1 : 0);
          if (device)
          return max(1,bc-ceil(bc/5)-slowActivation);
          endif
          return max(1,bc);
          }

          sub EditSuperSkill() {
          var skills[0];
          var selSkills[0];
          var n, activation, tskills;
          var nextState, state, btn, ind;
          var autoParent, cost;
          var skillList, lev;
          var skillLvl, skillPts, baseCost, slowActivation;
          array states[0];
          var b_NewSkill = 100;
          var b_removeSkill = 101;
          var b_doneEditing = 102;

          canceled = false;

          activation = optPresent('Requires Activation');
          slowActivation = optPresent('Slow Activation');
          device = optPresent('Device');

          autoParent = @autoID;
          ind = $+SelectedIndex(Powers);

          state = 'Choose Skills';
          while (state != 'Done')
          switch (state)
          'Choose Skills' ~
          n = removeAllElements(skills);
          item (Powers, ind)
          cost = @cost;
          lev = @level;
          options
          default ~
          if (@optOrigName = 'Text')
          n = addElement(skills, format('%s: %s', @optName, @optValue));
          endif
          end
          endoptions
          enditem
          n = sortElements(skills, true);
          skill = skills[1];
          dialog btn, Super Skills;
          displayexp "format('Super Skills Cost: %d', ssCost(lev, device, activation, slowActivation))";
          text "Double-click skill to increase or click Add to add a new super skill.";
          ctrlsize 100, 120;
          numselections 1, 1;
          listbox skill, &Skill:, $$skills;
          checkbox activation, &Requires Activation;
          checkbox slowActivation, Slow Ac&tivation;
          checkbox device, &Device;
          button b_doneEditing, " OK ";
          button b_next, &Change;
          button b_newSkill, &Add;
          button b_removeSkill, Remo&ve;
          button b_cancel, Cancel;
          button b_help, &Help;
          end

          skill = substr(skill, 1, strindex(skill, ':') - 1);
          item (Powers, ind)
          if (activation != optPresent('Requires Activation'))
          if (activation)
          option Requires Activation = activation;
          else
          deleteoption Requires Activation;
          endif
          endif
          if (slowActivation != optPresent('Slow Activation'))
          if (slowActivation)
          option Slow Activation;
          else
          deleteoption Slow Activation;
          endif
          endif
          if (device != optPresent('Device'))
          if (device)
          option Device;
          else
          deleteoption Device;
          endif
          endif
          enditem

          if (btn = b_cancel)
          nextState = 'Done';
          canceled = true;
          elseif (btn = b_doneEditing)
          nextState = 'Done';
          elseif (btn = b_next)
          nextState = 'Edit Skill';
          elseif (btn = b_newSkill)
          nextState = 'New Skill';
          elseif (btn = b_removeSkill)
          nextState = 'Remove Skill';
          endif
          btn = b_next;
          end

          'New Skill' ~
          n = removeAllElements(selSkills);
          foreach (*Skills)
          if (!@sublist and index(skills, @name) <= 0)
          n = addElement(selSkills, @name);
          endif
          endforeach
          n = sortElements(selSkills, true);

          dialog btn, New Skill;
          keyword New Super Skill;
          text "Choose skill to make Super Skill.";
          ctrlsize 100, 120; numselections 1, 1;
          listbox skill, Skill:, $$selSkills;
          button b_next, &Next;
          button b_back, &Back;
          button b_help, &Help;
          end
          nextState = 'Edit Skill';
          if (btn = b_next)
          tskills = $@skills;
          openwindow Skills;
          if (itemPresent('Skills', skill))
          item (Powers, ind)
          option Text[$$skill] = 0;
          enditem
          else
          add Skills.$$skill;
          item (Powers, ind)
          option Text[$$skill] = 2;
          option Skill Points = @`Skill Points` + ($@skills - tskills);
          set level = @level + 2;
          enditem
          AddHistory('New Super Skill', skill, 0, 0, $@LevelsTaken);
          openwindow Powers;
          item (Skills, skill)
          set autoParent = autoParent;
          option Super Skill Level = @level;
          enditem
          endif
          endif
          end

          'Edit Skill' ~
          item (Powers, ind)
          skillPts = optValue(skill);
          basePts = skillPts;
          skillLvl = listItemInfo('Skills', skill, '@v@');
          baseCost = @level - basePts;
          enditem

          dialog btn, Edit Skill;
          keyword Edit Super Skill;
          text "Enter the number of skill points to spend on $$skill:";
          updownbuttons;
          number skillPts, Points;
          ctrlsize 100, 0;
          displayexp "format('Die Type: %s', dispSSDie(skillLvl, skillPts-basePts))";
          displayexp "format('Super Skills Cost: %d', ssCost(baseCost+skillPts, device, activation, slowActivation))";
          end

          if (skillPts <= 0)
          item (Powers, ind)
          deleteoption $$skill;
          set level = @level - basePts;
          enditem
          item (Skills, skill)
          if (SSLevToPts(skillLvl) = basePts)
          # Skill was added through this; delete it.
          deleteitem;
          else
          # Skill no longer is super skill.
          skillLvl = getSSLevel(skillLvl, -basePts);
          if (skillLvl <= 0)
          deleteitem;
          else
          deleteoption Super Skill Level;
          set level = skillLvl;
          endif
          endif
          enditem
          else

          # Set the new skill level. Record the level on the skill so that the user can't change it directly.
          # Update the option that says how much was spent on this skill, and increase the level of this item
          # so that the powers cost is correct.

          skillLvl = getSSLevel(skillLvl, skillPts - basePts);
          tskills = $@skills;

          item (Skills, skill)
          set level = skillLvl;
          option Super Skill Level = skillLvl;
          enditem

          item (Powers, ind)
          if (optPresent(skill))
          option $$skill = skillPts;
          else
          option Text[$$skill] = skillPts;
          endif
          set level = @level + skillPts - basePts;
          option Skill Points = @`Skill Points` + ($@skills - tskills);
          enditem
          endif

          nextState = 'Choose Skills';
          end

          'Remove Skill' ~
          skillPts = 0;
          item (Powers, ind)
          if (optPresent(skill))
          skillPts = optvalue(skill);
          deleteoption $$skill;
          set level = @level - skillPts;
          endif
          enditem

          if (skillPts)
          tskills = $@skills;
          item (Skills, skill)
          if (SSLevToPts(skillLvl) = skillPts)
          # Whole skill is due to super skills; delete it.
          deleteitem;
          else
          deleteoption Super Skill Level;
          set level = getSSLevel(@level, -skillPts);
          endif
          enditem
          item (Powers, ind)
          option Skill Points = @`Skill Points` + ($@skills - tskills);
          enditem
          endif
          btn = b_back;
          end

          default ~
          dialog btn, Internal Error;
          text "Unknown state: $$state.";
          end
          canceled = true;
          return;
          end

          endswitch
          state = gotoNextState(btn, states, state, nextState);
          endwhile
          }


          --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, Support <bkvam@...> wrote:
          >
          >
          > You don't show what mechanism you're trying to use to give the die
          > bonus, so I can't say why it doesn't work the way you expect it to.
          >
          > To give a die bonus to Climbing use the following adjustment:
          >
          > b_climbing+2
          >
          > Check out the help section on adjustment bonuses. The section on skills
          > contains the following information:
          >
          >
          > Permanent Skill Bonuses
          >
          > To indicate a bonus to a skill that should always be displayed with the
          > skill:
          >
          > |"Skills:Swimming"+2|
          >
          > This will cause the following display of the skill: Swimming d6+2.
          >
          > See Bonus Stacking <#stacking> to add bonuses that don't stack.
          >
          > To indicate a die type increase in a skill you must adjust a variable
          > whose name is formed by "b_" and the skill name with all non-alphabetic
          > characters removed. For example, the die-type bonus variable for
          > Swimming would be |b_Swimming|; for Knowledge (Arcana) it would be
          > |b_KnowledgeArcana|.
          >
          > |b_Swimming+2
          > b_KnowledgeArcana+2|
          >
          > Above d12 the adjustment must be by 1. This is how the Professional and
          > Expert Edges increase the die type for skills and traits.
          >
          >
          > On 10/15/11 10:13 AM, Fyndhal wrote:
          > > I'm trying to create the following power (it would be a permanent effect.)
          > >
          > > - Bio-Mods
          > > Requirements: Novice
          > > Power Points: 1
          > > Effect: Gain a plus one die bonus to a single skill to a maximum of d12+1 or a new skill at d4. The character must decide which when the enhancement is taken. He may increase these skills as normal. Available Skills: Climbing, Fighting, Notice, Stealth, Swimming, and Tracking.
          > >
          > > I attempted to use the logic behind the Super Skills power in Necessary Evil, but the convoluted math in that may not even be giving correct results (A character with d4 Str and d4 fighting is only charged 2 points to increase his fighting die to d12? Shouldn't it be 4 points?)
          > >
          > > So! Simple problem. 1 power point = 1 skill increase, regardless of stat/level up to a max of d12+1.
          > >
          > >
          >
        • Bruce Kvam
          Note that Super Skills give you more available skill points in order to make the numbers balance out. It sounds like the your new power is basically the same
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2011
            Note that Super Skills give you more available skill points in order to
            make the numbers balance out. It sounds like the your new power is
            basically the same as Super Skills. What is the difference that you're
            trying to adjust for in your version?

            On 10/16/11 2:41 PM, Fyndhal wrote:
            > At the moment, I've reverted all my alterations and am using the code straight from Necessary Evil (albeit, with names changed where needed.)
            >
            > Here's the code I'm using.
            > > From the .cst file:
            > defile SavageWorlds.def list Skills catname Skills var Skills 0 listprompt
            > "%0l!Total Cost%-5rx|Skills|" levelprompt "Die Type" font "MS Sans Serif"
            > 8 charset 0 pitch 0
            > loc -1 -1 253 288
            > listheader "%0l!Skill%-15r!Die Type%-5r!Cost" end
            >
            > > From the .mds file:
            > $$superpower Bio-Mods 1/Level NoMaxSkill+1 ?clear $@Ruleset='Outreach'::Character sheet must be based on Outreach.cst x>=0 ceil(x/2) 0
            > opt begin adj "Skill Points" availSkills+x 0 noprint keepold end end
            > textline script "EditSuperSkill();" editdlg 6
            >
            > list "Genetic Engineering"
            > begin text "Super Skill Level" 4 dispexp "format('l: %d', showDie(o))" noprint keepold end
            >
            > > From the load.inc file:
            > func SSLevToPts(lvl) {
            > if (lvl< 4)
            > return 0;
            > elseif (lvl = 4)
            > return 2;
            > elseif (lvl<= 12)
            > return lvl / 2;
            > endif
            > return lvl - 6;
            > }
            >
            > func ssCost(lev, device, activation, slowActivation) {
            > local bc;
            > bc = ceil(lev/2) - (activation ? 1 : 0);
            > if (device)
            > return max(1,bc-ceil(bc/5)-slowActivation);
            > endif
            > return max(1,bc);
            > }
            >
            > sub EditSuperSkill() {
            > var skills[0];
            > var selSkills[0];
            > var n, activation, tskills;
            > var nextState, state, btn, ind;
            > var autoParent, cost;
            > var skillList, lev;
            > var skillLvl, skillPts, baseCost, slowActivation;
            > array states[0];
            > var b_NewSkill = 100;
            > var b_removeSkill = 101;
            > var b_doneEditing = 102;
            >
            > canceled = false;
            >
            > activation = optPresent('Requires Activation');
            > slowActivation = optPresent('Slow Activation');
            > device = optPresent('Device');
            >
            > autoParent = @autoID;
            > ind = $+SelectedIndex(Powers);
            >
            > state = 'Choose Skills';
            > while (state != 'Done')
            > switch (state)
            > 'Choose Skills' ~
            > n = removeAllElements(skills);
            > item (Powers, ind)
            > cost = @cost;
            > lev = @level;
            > options
            > default ~
            > if (@optOrigName = 'Text')
            > n = addElement(skills, format('%s: %s', @optName, @optValue));
            > endif
            > end
            > endoptions
            > enditem
            > n = sortElements(skills, true);
            > skill = skills[1];
            > dialog btn, Super Skills;
            > displayexp "format('Super Skills Cost: %d', ssCost(lev, device, activation, slowActivation))";
            > text "Double-click skill to increase or click Add to add a new super skill.";
            > ctrlsize 100, 120;
            > numselections 1, 1;
            > listbox skill,&Skill:, $$skills;
            > checkbox activation,&Requires Activation;
            > checkbox slowActivation, Slow Ac&tivation;
            > checkbox device,&Device;
            > button b_doneEditing, " OK ";
            > button b_next,&Change;
            > button b_newSkill,&Add;
            > button b_removeSkill, Remo&ve;
            > button b_cancel, Cancel;
            > button b_help,&Help;
            > end
            >
            > skill = substr(skill, 1, strindex(skill, ':') - 1);
            > item (Powers, ind)
            > if (activation != optPresent('Requires Activation'))
            > if (activation)
            > option Requires Activation = activation;
            > else
            > deleteoption Requires Activation;
            > endif
            > endif
            > if (slowActivation != optPresent('Slow Activation'))
            > if (slowActivation)
            > option Slow Activation;
            > else
            > deleteoption Slow Activation;
            > endif
            > endif
            > if (device != optPresent('Device'))
            > if (device)
            > option Device;
            > else
            > deleteoption Device;
            > endif
            > endif
            > enditem
            >
            > if (btn = b_cancel)
            > nextState = 'Done';
            > canceled = true;
            > elseif (btn = b_doneEditing)
            > nextState = 'Done';
            > elseif (btn = b_next)
            > nextState = 'Edit Skill';
            > elseif (btn = b_newSkill)
            > nextState = 'New Skill';
            > elseif (btn = b_removeSkill)
            > nextState = 'Remove Skill';
            > endif
            > btn = b_next;
            > end
            >
            > 'New Skill' ~
            > n = removeAllElements(selSkills);
            > foreach (*Skills)
            > if (!@sublist and index(skills, @name)<= 0)
            > n = addElement(selSkills, @name);
            > endif
            > endforeach
            > n = sortElements(selSkills, true);
            >
            > dialog btn, New Skill;
            > keyword New Super Skill;
            > text "Choose skill to make Super Skill.";
            > ctrlsize 100, 120; numselections 1, 1;
            > listbox skill, Skill:, $$selSkills;
            > button b_next,&Next;
            > button b_back,&Back;
            > button b_help,&Help;
            > end
            > nextState = 'Edit Skill';
            > if (btn = b_next)
            > tskills = $@skills;
            > openwindow Skills;
            > if (itemPresent('Skills', skill))
            > item (Powers, ind)
            > option Text[$$skill] = 0;
            > enditem
            > else
            > add Skills.$$skill;
            > item (Powers, ind)
            > option Text[$$skill] = 2;
            > option Skill Points = @`Skill Points` + ($@skills - tskills);
            > set level = @level + 2;
            > enditem
            > AddHistory('New Super Skill', skill, 0, 0, $@LevelsTaken);
            > openwindow Powers;
            > item (Skills, skill)
            > set autoParent = autoParent;
            > option Super Skill Level = @level;
            > enditem
            > endif
            > endif
            > end
            >
            > 'Edit Skill' ~
            > item (Powers, ind)
            > skillPts = optValue(skill);
            > basePts = skillPts;
            > skillLvl = listItemInfo('Skills', skill, '@v@');
            > baseCost = @level - basePts;
            > enditem
            >
            > dialog btn, Edit Skill;
            > keyword Edit Super Skill;
            > text "Enter the number of skill points to spend on $$skill:";
            > updownbuttons;
            > number skillPts, Points;
            > ctrlsize 100, 0;
            > displayexp "format('Die Type: %s', dispSSDie(skillLvl, skillPts-basePts))";
            > displayexp "format('Super Skills Cost: %d', ssCost(baseCost+skillPts, device, activation, slowActivation))";
            > end
            >
            > if (skillPts<= 0)
            > item (Powers, ind)
            > deleteoption $$skill;
            > set level = @level - basePts;
            > enditem
            > item (Skills, skill)
            > if (SSLevToPts(skillLvl) = basePts)
            > # Skill was added through this; delete it.
            > deleteitem;
            > else
            > # Skill no longer is super skill.
            > skillLvl = getSSLevel(skillLvl, -basePts);
            > if (skillLvl<= 0)
            > deleteitem;
            > else
            > deleteoption Super Skill Level;
            > set level = skillLvl;
            > endif
            > endif
            > enditem
            > else
            >
            > # Set the new skill level. Record the level on the skill so that the user can't change it directly.
            > # Update the option that says how much was spent on this skill, and increase the level of this item
            > # so that the powers cost is correct.
            >
            > skillLvl = getSSLevel(skillLvl, skillPts - basePts);
            > tskills = $@skills;
            >
            > item (Skills, skill)
            > set level = skillLvl;
            > option Super Skill Level = skillLvl;
            > enditem
            >
            > item (Powers, ind)
            > if (optPresent(skill))
            > option $$skill = skillPts;
            > else
            > option Text[$$skill] = skillPts;
            > endif
            > set level = @level + skillPts - basePts;
            > option Skill Points = @`Skill Points` + ($@skills - tskills);
            > enditem
            > endif
            >
            > nextState = 'Choose Skills';
            > end
            >
            > 'Remove Skill' ~
            > skillPts = 0;
            > item (Powers, ind)
            > if (optPresent(skill))
            > skillPts = optvalue(skill);
            > deleteoption $$skill;
            > set level = @level - skillPts;
            > endif
            > enditem
            >
            > if (skillPts)
            > tskills = $@skills;
            > item (Skills, skill)
            > if (SSLevToPts(skillLvl) = skillPts)
            > # Whole skill is due to super skills; delete it.
            > deleteitem;
            > else
            > deleteoption Super Skill Level;
            > set level = getSSLevel(@level, -skillPts);
            > endif
            > enditem
            > item (Powers, ind)
            > option Skill Points = @`Skill Points` + ($@skills - tskills);
            > enditem
            > endif
            > btn = b_back;
            > end
            >
            > default ~
            > dialog btn, Internal Error;
            > text "Unknown state: $$state.";
            > end
            > canceled = true;
            > return;
            > end
            >
            > endswitch
            > state = gotoNextState(btn, states, state, nextState);
            > endwhile
            > }
            >
            >
            > --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, Support<bkvam@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> You don't show what mechanism you're trying to use to give the die
            >> bonus, so I can't say why it doesn't work the way you expect it to.
            >>
            >> To give a die bonus to Climbing use the following adjustment:
            >>
            >> b_climbing+2
            >>
            >> Check out the help section on adjustment bonuses. The section on skills
            >> contains the following information:
            >>
            >>
            >> Permanent Skill Bonuses
            >>
            >> To indicate a bonus to a skill that should always be displayed with the
            >> skill:
            >>
            >> |"Skills:Swimming"+2|
            >>
            >> This will cause the following display of the skill: Swimming d6+2.
            >>
            >> See Bonus Stacking<#stacking> to add bonuses that don't stack.
            >>
            >> To indicate a die type increase in a skill you must adjust a variable
            >> whose name is formed by "b_" and the skill name with all non-alphabetic
            >> characters removed. For example, the die-type bonus variable for
            >> Swimming would be |b_Swimming|; for Knowledge (Arcana) it would be
            >> |b_KnowledgeArcana|.
            >>
            >> |b_Swimming+2
            >> b_KnowledgeArcana+2|
            >>
            >> Above d12 the adjustment must be by 1. This is how the Professional and
            >> Expert Edges increase the die type for skills and traits.
            >>
            >>
            >> On 10/15/11 10:13 AM, Fyndhal wrote:
            >>> I'm trying to create the following power (it would be a permanent effect.)
            >>>
            >>> - Bio-Mods
            >>> Requirements: Novice
            >>> Power Points: 1
            >>> Effect: Gain a plus one die bonus to a single skill to a maximum of d12+1 or a new skill at d4. The character must decide which when the enhancement is taken. He may increase these skills as normal. Available Skills: Climbing, Fighting, Notice, Stealth, Swimming, and Tracking.
            >>>
            >>> I attempted to use the logic behind the Super Skills power in Necessary Evil, but the convoluted math in that may not even be giving correct results (A character with d4 Str and d4 fighting is only charged 2 points to increase his fighting die to d12? Shouldn't it be 4 points?)
            >>>
            >>> So! Simple problem. 1 power point = 1 skill increase, regardless of stat/level up to a max of d12+1.
            >>>
            >>>
            >
            >
            >
            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > --------------
            > Find out more about Metacreator by visiting Alter Ego Software at http://www.alteregosoftware.com.Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
          • Fyndhal
            To answer the direct question: I want each level of Bio-Mods to give +1 Die Size to the chosen skill, regardless of Trait or previous skill level. Examples: d4
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 16, 2011
              To answer the direct question: I want each level of Bio-Mods to give +1 Die Size to the chosen skill, regardless of Trait or previous skill level.

              Examples:
              d4 Agility; d4 Fighting are base. Increasing Fighting to d10 via skill points would cost 6 points. Using the Bio-Mods power, it would only cost 3 power points.

              d10 Agility; d4 Fighting are base. Increasing Fighting to d10 via skill points would cost 3 points. Using the Bio-Mods power, it would cost 3 power points instead.

              Does that make sense?


              --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Kvam <bkvam@...> wrote:
              >
              > Note that Super Skills give you more available skill points in order to
              > make the numbers balance out. It sounds like the your new power is
              > basically the same as Super Skills. What is the difference that you're
              > trying to adjust for in your version?
              >
              > >> On 10/15/11 10:13 AM, Fyndhal wrote:
              > >>> I'm trying to create the following power (it would be a permanent effect.)
              > >>>
              > >>> - Bio-Mods
              > >>> Requirements: Novice
              > >>> Power Points: 1
              > >>> Effect: Gain a plus one die bonus to a single skill to a maximum of d12+1 or a new skill at d4. The character must decide which when the enhancement is taken. He may increase these skills as normal. Available Skills: Climbing, Fighting, Notice, Stealth, Swimming, and Tracking.
              > >>>
              > >>> I attempted to use the logic behind the Super Skills power in Necessary Evil, but the convoluted math in that may not even be giving correct results (A character with d4 Str and d4 fighting is only charged 2 points to increase his fighting die to d12? Shouldn't it be 4 points?)
              > >>>
              > >>> So! Simple problem. 1 power point = 1 skill increase, regardless of stat/level up to a max of d12+1.
            • Support
              Yes, it s clear now. This has uncovered a problem with the way Super Skills works if you change the Linked Attribute after adding the super skill. That will
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 19, 2011
                Yes, it's clear now. This has uncovered a problem with the way Super
                Skills works if you change the Linked Attribute after adding the super
                skill. That will require some changes to the way Super Skills works.

                In the mean time, the easiest way for you to implement this is to make
                an adjustment that modifies (for example) b_Fighting by 2 for each
                increase in die type. In your example, you could have an adjustment
                option with Expr.: set to "b_fighting+x" and a value of 6, which would
                increase the die type from d4 to d10.

                Probably the easiest way to do this is to define your Bio Mods item with
                six adjustment options, one for each skill that can be increased. When
                you add a skill through Bio Mods you'll want no cost associated with the
                skill. This can be done a number of ways, but the most straightforward
                is to add an addition option to your data sheet called "Bio Mods Skill"
                with a value of -1. When you add the skill add this option, which will
                make the d4 skill cost 0 points. That will also let you track which
                skills were added by Bio Mods so you can set its cost appropriately.

                Your edit script for Bio Mods will need to count up which skills and die
                types you added, and then set the cost of Bio Mods accordingly, similar
                to the way the Super Skills script sets the cost of the power (by
                setting the level appropriately).

                This way of doing it is more limited than Super Skills, but since Bio
                Mods is constrained to a particular set of skills this shouldn't be a
                problem. Also, changes that will be made to fix the problem with Super
                Skills will not affect this kind of implementation.

                On 10/16/11 4:57 PM, Fyndhal wrote:
                > To answer the direct question: I want each level of Bio-Mods to give +1 Die Size to the chosen skill, regardless of Trait or previous skill level.
                >
                > Examples:
                > d4 Agility; d4 Fighting are base. Increasing Fighting to d10 via skill points would cost 6 points. Using the Bio-Mods power, it would only cost 3 power points.
                >
                > d10 Agility; d4 Fighting are base. Increasing Fighting to d10 via skill points would cost 3 points. Using the Bio-Mods power, it would cost 3 power points instead.
                >
                > Does that make sense?
                >
              • Fyndhal
                Thanks a ton!
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 19, 2011
                  Thanks a ton!

                  --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, Support <bkvam@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Yes, it's clear now. This has uncovered a problem with the way Super
                  > Skills works if you change the Linked Attribute after adding the super
                  > skill. That will require some changes to the way Super Skills works.
                  >
                  > In the mean time, the easiest way for you to implement this is to make
                  > an adjustment that modifies (for example) b_Fighting by 2 for each
                  > increase in die type. In your example, you could have an adjustment
                  > option with Expr.: set to "b_fighting+x" and a value of 6, which would
                  > increase the die type from d4 to d10.
                  >
                  > Probably the easiest way to do this is to define your Bio Mods item with
                  > six adjustment options, one for each skill that can be increased. When
                  > you add a skill through Bio Mods you'll want no cost associated with the
                  > skill. This can be done a number of ways, but the most straightforward
                  > is to add an addition option to your data sheet called "Bio Mods Skill"
                  > with a value of -1. When you add the skill add this option, which will
                  > make the d4 skill cost 0 points. That will also let you track which
                  > skills were added by Bio Mods so you can set its cost appropriately.
                  >
                  > Your edit script for Bio Mods will need to count up which skills and die
                  > types you added, and then set the cost of Bio Mods accordingly, similar
                  > to the way the Super Skills script sets the cost of the power (by
                  > setting the level appropriately).
                  >
                  > This way of doing it is more limited than Super Skills, but since Bio
                  > Mods is constrained to a particular set of skills this shouldn't be a
                  > problem. Also, changes that will be made to fix the problem with Super
                  > Skills will not affect this kind of implementation.
                  >
                  > On 10/16/11 4:57 PM, Fyndhal wrote:
                  > > To answer the direct question: I want each level of Bio-Mods to give +1 Die Size to the chosen skill, regardless of Trait or previous skill level.
                  > >
                  > > Examples:
                  > > d4 Agility; d4 Fighting are base. Increasing Fighting to d10 via skill points would cost 6 points. Using the Bio-Mods power, it would only cost 3 power points.
                  > >
                  > > d10 Agility; d4 Fighting are base. Increasing Fighting to d10 via skill points would cost 3 points. Using the Bio-Mods power, it would cost 3 power points instead.
                  > >
                  > > Does that make sense?
                  > >
                  >
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.