File management best practices

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2009
      OK, so I finally have a new Ars Magica saga underway, and we're using Metacreator to keep track of everything. I frankly don't know how I got along without it!

      That said, there are numerous "challenges" to using MC where Troupe play is concerned. I'm the Alpha Storyguide, but we have basically parceled out grogs so that I am not advancing every one of them - each player is handling his Magus and Companion and perhaps 5-8 grogs as well.

      This gets to be something of a headache if everyone's not on the same schedule - for vis and monetary accounting, longevity rituals for other characters, etc., all characters need to be at the same season. We'd been "versioning" characters, too, to minimize foul-ups of advancement, but that doesn't really work with the Covenants character sheet - you'd have to remove the old character and add the new one each time.

      Anyway, all of this is just to express curiosity as to how others handle their MC file management - especially as concerns ArM but I'm sure other games might meet with similar issues. What's worked well for you, or blown up in your face, for that matter?

      Thanks, and best regards,
      Patrick