Re: [cw] SRD 3.5 - problem with certain monster races

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2009
      You don't say which way you do create the character as a monster. There are two ways:
      1. In the Choose Race dialog click Monster in the Race list, then click through and choose Gnoll from a list of all monsters, or:
      2. Click Monsters in the Show Races dropdown in the Choose Race dialog. Choose Race dialog replots and now lists the "official" monster races in the Race list. Click Gnoll and go directly to creating a character in the standard way.
      Either way I do it, I get a level three character with 6,000 xp awarded with 4,000 needed for next level.

      If I use 1. I get a basically "normal" character with (actual) race Gnoll and one level of Fighter.

      If I use 2., I get a "monster" character with quasi-race "Gnoll", two levels of the "Gnoll" class and one level of Fighter, plus a bunch of extra things that were on the Gnoll monster entry.

      We recommend creating PC monster characters with the first way.

      Saxum Caribetum wrote:
      I'm trying to create characters with various of the monster races;
      I've had fine success with Aasimar, Centaur and Sprite so far, but have
      problems with the Gnoll race.

      I go through and assign or set Ability points, pick sex and race, and
      class (Ftr)
      but then the Gnoll shown has XP as
          Awarded 6,000
          Next lev 3,000
          Needed -3000

      according to Savage Species & other sources, Gnoll should be a 2HD
      Humanoid with a +1 level adjustment. If I add Ftr 1 on top of that, I
      should have a character whose XP cost is (Gnoll 2HD + Ftr 1 + adjust 1)
      = 6000, but whose level is 3 (Gnoll 2, Ftr 1)

      It is as though the level adj was figured in to kick start the character
      (6000 - correct), but then go lost in the "next level" calculation??

      I have not experiemtned (yet) to see which, if any, other races share
      similar problems.

    • Saxum Caribetum
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2009
        Support wrote:
        You don't say which way you do create the character as a monster. There are two ways:
        1. In the Choose Race dialog click Monster in the Race list, then click through and choose Gnoll from a list of all monsters, or:
        2. Click Monsters in the Show Races dropdown in the Choose Race dialog. Choose Race dialog replots and now lists the "official" monster races in the Race list. Click Gnoll and go directly to creating a character in the standard way.
        Either way I do it, I get a level three character with 6,000 xp awarded with 4,000 needed for next level.

        hmm - bizarre.
        Yes, I get the same as you now.

        All I can say is I had been back-and-forth through the dialogs and options, initially with NPCs, until I approached the state I reported (Fantasy.cst, PC, monster in race list, then Gnoll...) but was wrong for me then and not now.

        I'll not complain if it works and all I have to do is start clean and not faff...

        Ta!

        Saxum Caribetum wrote:
[...]

        _._,___

        --