Savage Worlds Script Error: What did I screw up?

  • Michael Sprague
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
      Using version 1.4.7, when creating a character using my pulp template and selecting anything but "Human" or "Archetype" for race, I get the following error message:

      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Script Error
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

          Configuration.isNPC is not a field in a dialog

          File: SavageWorlds\Create.inc, line: 764
          Last Item Added: Pulp

      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

      I have only added one new race (Dinosaurs) to my pulp data sheet, and near as I can tell, I have done everything like core.mds for Animals and Monsters.  Note that one thing different is that I added sublists within the animals and monsters sublists ... but removing them didn't seem to make any difference.

      Following is the snipped from pulp.mds, showing what I did for Races in my data sheet.

      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      cat Races
       colwidth 10 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 25 100
       $$availRaces Human; Archetype; NPC; Ally; Animal; Dinosaur; Monster
       $$race Dinosaur IsMonster+1;NoMaxAttr+1;NoMaxSkill+1;NoMinAttr+1     Dinosaur;NPC;Archetype
       end
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

      I can send the files if necessary, but for the moment, I am just trying to understand what the error is.

      Is it possible that my screw up is in the "Entities" list somewhere?  Regardless, selecting Human works as expected, and selecting Archetype tells me that there are no Archetypes in the data sheet ... which is the case.

      ~ Mike

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 10, 2008
          Yes, I do have a pulp.cst file. What is the best way to convert it to 1.4.7?  Can I use the Update Character Sheet utility, or do I have to recreate it?  If the former, it's not obvious how to do it for a .cst file.

          Thanks!

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 10, 2008
            You update it like any .chr file (use File > Convert... or Utilities
            > Update Character Sheets...). If you actually added new fields or
            move them around you may need to tweak the converted file. For Deadlands and Rippers we have additional fields in some dialogs, and if you name things properly the update can be made to work seamlessly. In particular, you'll need to assign label names to text items that may conflict. Check out what we do with Grit and Worst Nightmare in Deadlands and Reason and Status in Rippers.

            We have a .group file with all the derivative .cst files listed in it, and every time we change SavageWorlds.cst we run Utilities > Update Character Sheets.... and choose that group file. It makes a painful excercise a one-step thing you just have to remember to do.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 10, 2008
              Normally, when I use the "Utilities > Update Character Sheets...", I am able to select the character sheets I want to update.  Not the case here with *.cst files.  I tried simply typing in pulp.cst, and I was then able to click "Update," but if it did anything, it didn't fix the script error.

              Took a while to fine find any "File > Convert..." menu item.  You have to have the .cst file open first.  :-)  I tried to convert it that way, but again, I still have the same script error.

              For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I didn't create any new fields, and if I moved anything, it would have been simply to better center the small icon picture in the main dialog.

              I just went through the documentation for group files, and it's not clear to me how you would use it for this.  It seems to have a default template, and talks about adding character sheets (*.chr) but not character template files (*.cst).  Do you have an example of one I could look at?

              As expected, the other settings files I have created (*.cst files) exhibit the same script error.  I tried to convert one of them, but still get the script error.  Just to be clear, it's just the *.cst files I need to update, right?

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 10, 2008
                  I got no errors when doing the conversion ... it just didn't fix the script error when selecting something besides Human or Archetype for the race.

                  As it is, I simply got tired of playing with it, and just created new *.cst files.  :-)  Didn't take long, as it was just a matter of setting a few things, as well as the pre-existing ruleset.  The updated ones all work fine now.

                  I did have one left, and tried doing what you wrote below, this time saving to a different name.  While I could select races within that data set, selecting Monster, still resulted in a scipt error.  Ah well ... shortly, I'll have a new .cst file for this one, and they should all work fine.

                  ~ Mike