Frostburn Feats

  • endynyp
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2006
      Hi everybody,

      So I know nothing about programming so please go easy on me. Here is my
      problem: I am inputing my Frostburn book into Metacreator and I need to
      input the feats Chosen of Iborighu and Mark of Hleid. Both of these
      feats change the characters favored class to cleric. I can't figure out
      how to make the program do this. Could anyone tell me how?

      Thanks,

      Eric
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2006
        The setting of the favored class is a function of the race. An option on
        the race called Favored Class indicates this. The SRD only defines
        favored class based on race, so there is no functionality to set the
        favored class through feats in the SRD template.

        However, you can change the favored class manually. After you add your
        feat, double-click the race. Then double-click the Favored Class option
        in the race dialog. Enter the name of the class in the Value, then click
        OK. In your case you would enter Cleric in the Value field.

        If the Favored Class option has something like
        "gender=2?'Cleric':'Wizard'" in it, you need to put quotes around the
        class name to make it work properly (this is for races that have
        different favored classes based on gender).

        Making this automatic would require changes to the internal workings of
        the template. It's not as simple as simply setting the Favored Class
        option on the race from the feat, for two reasons: there can be
        templates in the Race list (making multiple entries in the Race list),
        and there's no way to restore the Favored Class option on the race
        should you delete the feat (which you might do if you were trying out
        the feat or picked it accidentally).

        endynyp wrote:
        > Hi everybody,
        >
        > So I know nothing about programming so please go easy on me. Here is my
        > problem: I am inputing my Frostburn book into Metacreator and I need to
        > input the feats Chosen of Iborighu and Mark of Hleid. Both of these
        > feats change the characters favored class to cleric. I can't figure out
        > how to make the program do this. Could anyone tell me how?
        >
        > Thanks,

      • Chip Dunning
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2006
          I know nothing about Frostburn, but I will take a wild stab in the dark.

          I will walk-though things so that I think I get it.

          The race macro (macros.inc) has a variable called favclass. It is the
          8th variable in the macro. This is used in the adj section I believe as
          well as the opt section.

          In the character sheet we can see that we have

          Adjustments:
          favoredClass="`~Favored Class`"

          Favored Class (Text)

          I would imagine that you would use your feat to override the Favored
          Class attribute of your race.

          That is just my guess.

          Chip

          endynyp wrote:
          > Hi everybody,
          >
          > So I know nothing about programming so please go easy on me. Here is my
          > problem: I am inputing my Frostburn book into Metacreator and I need to
          > input the feats Chosen of Iborighu and Mark of Hleid. Both of these
          > feats change the characters favored class to cleric. I can't figure out
          > how to make the program do this. Could anyone tell me how?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Eric

        • Eric Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2006
            Ok so I just set favclass=cleric?

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
                This will not work reliably because two different items will be setting
                that variable. There is nothing to ensure that the feat will set the
                variable last all the time. If you do anything to cause the race to be
                updated the favored class will be reset back to the racial favored class.

                Also, if you were to add this feat, and then remove it, the favored
                class would be set to zero. This would result in weird behavior until
                you reloaded the character sheet or reset the race somehow.