Re: Forgotten Realms Feat-- Spellcasting Prodigy

  • Rodney Slagle
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2004
      Bruce:

      I've tried your suggestion but I don't think I gave you enough
      information so here is the feat description right out of the
      Forgotten Realms book.

      "Spellcasting Prodigy (General)

      You have an exceptional gift for magic.
      Benefit: For the purpose of determining bonus spells and the saving
      throw DC's of the spells you cast, treat your primary spellcasting
      ability score (Charisma for Bards and Sorcerers, Wisdom for Divine
      spellcasters, Intelligence for Wizards) as 2 points higher than its
      actual value. If you have more than one spellcasting class, the
      bonus applies to only one of those classes.
      Special: You may only take this feat as a 1st-level character. If
      you take this feat more than once (for example, if you are human or
      another type of creature that gets more than one feat at 1st-level),
      it applies to a different spellcasting class each time. You can take
      this feat even if you don't have any spellcasting classes yet."

      It is possible to implement this feat in MetaCreator as it currently
      is, and if so, how?
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 4, 2004
        So, logically speaking, this essentially adds 1 to the "Spell Modifier"
        option on the spellcasting class, right?

        (To see the effect of that you can double-click the spellcasting class,
        then double-click the Spell Modifier option and change the value to
        something like "INTmod+1).

        If that's the right model, then this can be implemented by changing the
        definition of the Spell Modifier option to also add a bonus based on the
        presence of a modifier set by the feat you're creating.

        If this sounds right, I will make a change to the template that will
        accommodate this kind of addition.

        For the time being you can manually change the Spell Modifier option to
        have a +1 addition, then undo that when the next release comes out.

        Rodney Slagle wrote:

        >Bruce:
        >
        >I've tried your suggestion but I don't think I gave you enough
        >information so here is the feat description right out of the
        >Forgotten Realms book.
        >
        >"Spellcasting Prodigy (General)
        >
        >You have an exceptional gift for magic.
        >Benefit: For the purpose of determining bonus spells and the saving
        >throw DC's of the spells you cast, treat your primary spellcasting
        >ability score (Charisma for Bards and Sorcerers, Wisdom for Divine
        >spellcasters, Intelligence for Wizards) as 2 points higher than its
        >actual value. If you have more than one spellcasting class, the
        >bonus applies to only one of those classes.
        >Special: You may only take this feat as a 1st-level character. If
        >you take this feat more than once (for example, if you are human or
        >another type of creature that gets more than one feat at 1st-level),
        >it applies to a different spellcasting class each time. You can take
        >this feat even if you don't have any spellcasting classes yet."
        >

        >It is possible to implement this feat in MetaCreator as it currently
        >is, and if so, how?

      • Rodney Slagle
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 4, 2004
          --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Kvam <bkvam@v...> wrote:
          > So, logically speaking, this essentially adds 1 to the "Spell
          Modifier"
          > option on the spellcasting class, right?
          >
          > (To see the effect of that you can double-click the spellcasting
          class,
          > then double-click the Spell Modifier option and change the value
          > something like "INTmod+1).
          >
          > If that's the right model, then this can be implemented by
          changing the
          > definition of the Spell Modifier option to also add a bonus based
          on the
          > presence of a modifier set by the feat you're creating.
          >
          > If this sounds right, I will make a change to the template that
          will
          > accommodate this kind of addition.
          >
          > For the time being you can manually change the Spell Modifier
          option to
          > have a +1 addition, then undo that when the next release comes out.
          >

          > >Bruce:
          > >
          > >I was confused at first because when I made the change the view
          of the sorcerer class didn't seem to reflect the change in the # of
          bonus spells. However when I did a preview of the character sheet
          everything was calculated correctly, so yes, that is what I was
          looking for. Thanks for your help.

          Rodney Slagle

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
            I was confused at first because when I made the change the view of the sorcerer class didn't seem to reflect the change in the # of bonus spells. However when I did a preview of the character sheet everything was calculated correctly, so yes, that is what I was looking for. Thanks for your help.
            If you look at that character now is the total correct in the Spells window?

            The spells window didn't know to replot the spell count because it can't detect that you changed that option. When I do this for real, it will be able to tell that it changed.
          • Rodney Slagle
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
              --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Kvam <bkvam@v...> wrote:

              > >I was confused at first because when I made the change the view
              of the sorcerer class didn't seem to reflect the change in the # of
              bonus spells. However when I did a preview of the character sheet
              everything was calculated correctly, so yes, that is what I was
              looking for. Thanks for your help.

              > If you look at that character now is the total correct in the
              Spells window?

              > The spells window didn't know to replot the spell count because it
              can't
              > detect that you changed that option. When I do this for real, it
              will be
              > able to tell that it changed.

              I just realized that the sorcerer class view shows the base spells
              out of the book, so as far as I can tell everything calculates and
              displays correctly.
              While I've got your attention there is another problem I am having
              which may have been noticed already. I have a level 12 human
              sorcerer so he should have six feats (which he does because I
              ignored the program), but the main window shows that he should only
              have 2 feats which is obviously wrong. Is there anywhere in the
              program that I can go to fix this or will the fix be in the next
              update?

              Rodney Slagle
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
                What version did you notice this in? With the current release I get six
                feats.

                >I just realized that the sorcerer class view shows the base spells
                >out of the book, so as far as I can tell everything calculates and
                >displays correctly.
                >While I've got your attention there is another problem I am having
                >which may have been noticed already. I have a level 12 human
                >sorcerer so he should have six feats (which he does because I
                >ignored the program), but the main window shows that he should only
                >have 2 feats which is obviously wrong. Is there anywhere in the
                >program that I can go to fix this or will the fix be in the next
                >update?

              • Rodney Slagle
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 5, 2004
                  --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Kvam <bkvam@v...> wrote:
                  > What version did you notice this in? With the current release I
                  get six
                  > feats.
                  >
                  > >I just realized that the sorcerer class view shows the base
                  spells
                  > >out of the book, so as far as I can tell everything calculates
                  and
                  > >displays correctly.
                  > >While I've got your attention there is another problem I am
                  having
                  > >which may have been noticed already. I have a level 12 human
                  > >sorcerer so he should have six feats (which he does because I
                  > >ignored the program), but the main window shows that he should
                  only
                  > >have 2 feats which is obviously wrong. Is there anywhere in the
                  > >program that I can go to fix this or will the fix be in the next
                  > >update?

                  All the modules are 3.5.0 but MetaCreator is 3.6.0
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 6, 2004
                    I suggest you try converting that character to 3.6.0 and see if the
                    problem persists. However, I also get six feats with 3.5.0, so the
                    problem is not pervasive.

                    It must be something about the character. Please send me the character
                    as an attachment to this email address directly, instead of posting it
                    in the group. Thanks.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 6, 2004
                      --- In cw@yahoogroups.com, Support <bkvam@v...> wrote:
                      > I suggest you try converting that character to 3.6.0 and see if
                      the
                      > problem persists. However, I also get six feats with 3.5.0, so the
                      > problem is not pervasive.
                      >
                      > It must be something about the character. Please send me the
                      character
                      > as an attachment to this email address directly, instead of
                      posting it
                      > in the group. Thanks.
                      >
                      > >All the modules are 3.5.0 but MetaCreator is 3.6.0

                      I got several characters doing that. I even tried creating some new
                      ones and they did that. Before I send you any of the characters, I'm
                      going to try a clean install in a different directory and then level
                      up the characters as I go. If it still does it then it may be
                      something with my system, although I wouldn't have any idea what.
                      I'll get back to you within a few days to let you know what happened.
                    • Rodney Slagle
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 10, 2004
                        I uninstalled, cleared the registry, and then re-installed 3.6.0.
                        The feats are now figured and shown correctly.

                        There may be another minor bug.I have a lvl 3 cleric/lvl 4
                        sorcerer/lvl 5 mystic theurge. For spell levels that means (I think)
                        that I have an effective lvl 8 cleric and lvl 9 sorcerer. If this is
                        correct that would mean lvl 4 spells for both. However, the display
                        category drop down box under spells offers me up to lvl 5 cleric
                        spells and up to lvl 6 sorcerer spells. The spells window on the
                        character shows only up to lvl 4 spells. If I'm wrong, let me know.

                        Rodney Slagle
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 11, 2004
                          That's because some spells are level 4 for sorcerers and level 5 for
                          clerics (Scrying) and some level 6 sorcerer spells are level 4 cleric
                          spells (Cotrol Weather).

                          The category list is derived from all the spells that meet the selection
                          rules; since those spells have both categories they both get listed.

                          When you actually pick the spell you select the class/level for the
                          spell. Currently this offers both cleric 5 and sorcerer 4 for Scrying,
                          even though you can only cast that spell as a sorcerer.

                          I've since changed the code so that when you pick a spell like Scrying,
                          it won't offer the cleric level when you take the spell.