Ars Magica question

  • bemaddog
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2003
      I have recently downloaded the MetaCreator Demo version for Ars
      Magica to try it out. It is quite impressive to be honest.
      I encountered one problem though.
      A character took the Diabolic Upbringing -2 flaw and subsequently
      tried to add Occult Lore to the abilities list. The addition was
      refused as the requirements were not met according to the program.
      However it is entirely legal to take Occult Lore if Diabolic
      Unbringing is chosen as flaw (4th ed. page 49).
      Is there some way I can circumvent this problem? Or do I have to file
      a bug report? Or simply just make the character and alter it upon
      completion (which I did) and quit whining?
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2003
        Hmm. I just tried this with the released application (version 2.3.4) and was
        able to create a Criamon magus with Diabolic Upbringing and Occult Lore. I
        got no error messages.

        Looking at the requirements, you need to either be a magus to get Occult
        Lore or you must have the Arcane Lore Virtue.

        What is the message that you get?

        If you have the Disallow if Not Satisfied checkbox unchecked in the
        preferences, you can always ignore unsatisfied requirements. There are a
        couple of points at which you'll be notified (during finalization, for
        example), but you can otherwise let the requirements be unsatisfied.

        If you don't like the messages, you can also delete the requirements from
        the item by using the Edit Properties command on the item, click the
        Requirements tab and then just delete the requirements.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2003
          > Looking at the requirements, you need to either be a magus to get
          Occult
          > Lore or you must have the Arcane Lore Virtue.
          > What is the message that you get?

          This is exactly the message I get. But you should be able to take
          this skill with the Diabolic Upbringing flaw regardless of the two
          other conditions according to 4th edition rules page 49.

          > If you don't like the messages, you can also delete the
          requirements from
          > the item by using the Edit Properties command on the item, click the
          > Requirements tab and then just delete the requirements.

          This sounds like a sensible solution. I haven't played since 2 ed.
          rules so I am a bit rusty. Perhaps it would be better to insert a new
          condition for Diabolic Upbringing. I'll have to toy some more with
          this wonder. Considering the complexity of Ars Magica I presume there
          must be a few minor bugs here and there. The hints you provided seems
          to provide means to circumvent them.
          Thanks a lot.
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2003
            Actually, now that you point that out, there is a data error that should
            also allow Diabolic Upbringing to satisfy the requirement. I'll fix that.
            For the time being you can use one of the other solutions.