Problem opening MDS file

  • Beren
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
      I'm trying to build a macro data sheet for a HERO System game that I
      am going to be running, and I wanted to take a look at the hero.mds
      file to see how the package deals were put together. When I open the
      file, I get an error message that goes "A read error occurred on line
      354 of the macro data sheet".

      I have not edited or changed that file in any way that I know of.
      Does anyone know what might be causing the problem?

      --
      Lisa Hartjes
      evilgm@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
        Are you trying to open it with a Text Editor or with MetaCreator?

        The file should be text.

        - Christopher Mullins

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
          Hmm. There is no Hero.mds file distributed with the Hero game system
          template. What is the origin of this file? Why don't you send it to me as an
          attachment?

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2002
            On 1 Apr 2002 at 20:10, Bruce Kvam wrote:

            > Hmm. There is no Hero.mds file distributed with the Hero game system
            > template. What is the origin of this file? Why don't you send it to me
            > as an attachment?

            Okay, it looks like it was something that I tried to create myself,
            but screwed up somehow.

            In any case, with the package deals in the HERO System template,
            there's a feature for where you can choose X number of skills from a
            list - a little dialog box pops up with a list of al the skills, and
            it counts down as you check off the ones you want until you've chosen
            all the ones you're entitled to. I'm trying to find a way to
            duplicate that for the package deals I want to create through an MDS
            file. Is it possible to do it?

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2002
              The following is taken from Hero.cds. The ?choose directive does what you
              want. You can copy the text below and paste it into an .mds file directly
              (unless your email program messes it up). Then you can modify the list of
              skills and other information as desired.

              I'm working on changes to macro data sheets that allow you to edit such
              things with a dialog so that you don't have to know the exact syntax.

              $$pkgdeal(Policeman, 0, 3, , ,
              "?opt:Small Arms;Weapon Familiarity;?zopt;Generic Familiarity[FAM:
              Billyclub]=1;\
              Knowledge Skill[KS: Criminal Law];City Knowledge;Local Police Powers;\
              ?choose:Skills,3,Bureaucratics,Combat
              Driving,Concealment,Conversation,Criminology,\
              Forensic Medicine,Persuasion,Shadowing,Streetwise;",
              "Distinctive Features[Distinctive Features: Cop];\
              ?opt:Capabilities='More Powerful';\
              ?opt:Appearance='11-';Watched[Monitored by Local Police Department]")