Conflict occurs while simple merge

  • prateek.baxi
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2007
      Hi,

      I am using WinCVS version 2.0.2.4 (Build 4) along with CVSNT server
      version 2.5.03. Both server and client is on different VM on Windows
      XP Professional. Well, my working copy is on netrwork drive for both
      user.

      When I try to uopdate the changed in my local working copy to merge
      changes done by other user, I always get merge conflict. Though the
      changes done by other user is very simple, wincvs cannot merge it at
      all. Is there any setting on CVS server or WinCVS client which I need
      to use.

      Following is the example of what I am doing with 2 diffrent user viz.
      User1 and User2.

      1 - User1 has created a new file File1.sql and commited in the CVS
      Server
      2 - User2 checks out this file in the working directory.
      3 - User2 adds anew line in the file and checks in
      4 - User1 updates the local copy.
      5 - Changes gets merged into working copy of User1.

      Now if I follow same steps before updating the local copy of User1 but
      User1 makes some changes in the local copy, User1 always gets the
      conflict problem.

      Anyone have any idea what is going wrong???
    • Bo Berglund
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2007
        On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:06:24 -0000, "prateek.baxi"
        <prateek.baxi@...> wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >I am using WinCVS version 2.0.2.4 (Build 4) along with CVSNT server
        >version 2.5.03. Both server and client is on different VM on Windows
        >XP Professional. Well, my working copy is on netrwork drive for both
        >user.
        >
        >When I try to uopdate the changed in my local working copy to merge
        >changes done by other user, I always get merge conflict. Though the
        >changes done by other user is very simple, wincvs cannot merge it at
        >all. Is there any setting on CVS server or WinCVS client which I need
        >to use.
        >
        >Following is the example of what I am doing with 2 diffrent user viz.
        >User1 and User2.
        >
        >1 - User1 has created a new file File1.sql and commited in the CVS
        >Server
        >2 - User2 checks out this file in the working directory.
        >3 - User2 adds anew line in the file and checks in
        >4 - User1 updates the local copy.
        >5 - Changes gets merged into working copy of User1.
        >
        >Now if I follow same steps before updating the local copy of User1 but
        >User1 makes some changes in the local copy, User1 always gets the
        >conflict problem.
        >
        >Anyone have any idea what is going wrong???

        If bth edit the file at the same location there will always be a
        conflict. For example if both add a new (different) line to the file
        then this will be considered a merging conflict because the change was
        made in the same line by both users....

        /Bo Berglund