TCL or Python are not available, shell is disabled

  • muzik_synk
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2005
      I just install WinCvs 2.0.2.4 (Build 4) any Python 2.4 on Xp.

      When WinCvs is executed it returns "TCL or Python are not available,
      shell is disabled"

      Solution:

      Admin-->Preferences-->WinCvs-->Python DLL-->C:\Program Files\Python24\DLLs

      And

      Admin-->Preferences-->WinCvs-->TCL DLL-->C:\Program
      Files\Python24\python24.dll

      Hope this thread helps resolve your WinCvs issue.

      Theo
    • Oliver Giesen
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005
        "muzik_synk" wrote:

        > I just install WinCvs 2.0.2.4 (Build 4) any Python 2.4 on Xp.
        >
        > When WinCvs is executed it returns "TCL or Python are not available,
        > shell is disabled"
        >
        > Solution:
        >
        > Admin-->Preferences-->WinCvs-->Python DLL-->C:\Program
        > Files\Python24\DLLs
        >
        > And
        >
        > Admin-->Preferences-->WinCvs-->TCL DLL-->C:\Program
        > Files\Python24\python24.dll

        Unless those were both typos I'm surprised this worked for you. The
        Python DLL setting should actually point at what you specified for the
        TCL DLL and the latter should have pointed at the tcl84.dll in the
        directory you gave for the Python DLL...

        If the python24.dll really is in c:\Program Files\Python24 on your
        system then the reason why it was not auto-detected is that you did not
        install Python in "admin mode" (i.e. for all users) and therefore the
        Python DLL was not on the PATH. After an admin-install the DLL would
        have been placed in %windir%\System32 which does tend to be on the
        PATH...

        Hope this helps.

        --
        Oliver
        ------
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005
          "muzik_synk" wrote:

          > I just install WinCvs 2.0.2.4 (Build 4) any Python 2.4 on Xp.
          >
          > When WinCvs is executed it returns "TCL or Python are not available,
          > shell is disabled"
          >
          > Solution:
          >
          > Admin-->Preferences-->WinCvs-->Python DLL-->C:\Program
          > Files\Python24\DLLs
          >
          > And
          >
          > Admin-->Preferences-->WinCvs-->TCL DLL-->C:\Program
          > Files\Python24\python24.dll

          Unless those were both typos I'm surprised this worked for you. The
          Python DLL setting should actually point at what you specified for the
          TCL DLL and the latter should have pointed at the tcl84.dll in the
          directory you gave for the Python DLL...

          If the python24.dll really is in c:\Program Files\Python24 on your
          system then the reason why it was not auto-detected is that you did not
          install Python in "admin mode" (i.e. for all users) and therefore the
          Python DLL was not on the PATH. After an admin-install the DLL would
          have been placed in %windir%\System32 which does tend to be on the
          PATH...

          Hope this helps.

          --
          Oliver
          ------
          In everybody's best interest, please do not post or CC technical
          questions to me in private unless they are specifically about a
          macro/product of mine that is NOT already bundled with WinCvs. I will
          generally forward my replies to such posts to the CVSGUI list without
          further notice.
          ---- ------------------
          JID: ogiesen@...
          ICQ: 18777742 (http://wwp.icq.com/18777742)
        • J. Kleijn
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 2007
            Hello

            I'm facing the problem that Python is not recognized by wincvs (TCL or
            Python are not available, shell is disabled). I am using wincvs 2.024 and
            activepython 2.5

            Can anybody help?

            Jeroen