Re: [cvsgui] TCL or Python are not available, shell is disabled

  • Oliver Giesen
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
      > I have a similar problem. I just installed the latest WinCvs 1.3.whatever
      on Windows 2000. It initially complained about no Python, so I click on the
      link it presented and downloaded Python. Nevertheless, WinCvs still says
      there's no Python.

      You possibly did not install Python in "admin mode". See below.

      > I found a WinCvs dialog that appeared to identify the location of Python.
      However, it asked for the location of the Python *DLLs* where all I have is
      a Python .EXE. The only DLLs installed under Python are for Tk and TCL.

      The Python DLL is called Python23.dll or Python24.dll or something like that
      depending on which version of Python you installed. If you installed Python
      in so-called "admin mode" (i.e. for all users) then that DLL will be located
      in your %WINDIR%\System32 directory. In that case however, it should not be
      necessary to specify it explicitly via the WinCvs preferences as that folder
      should already be on the PATH. I don't know where the Python installer would
      put that DLL if you installed in non-admin mode but I believe it would be
      somewhere below the Python application folder.

      Hope this helps.

      Oliver
      ------
      In everybody's best interest, please do not post or CC technical questions
      to me in private unless they are specifically about a macro/product of mine
      that is NOT already bundled with WinCvs. I will generally forward my replies
      to such posts to the CVSGUI list without further notice.
      ---- ------------------
      JID: ogiesen@...
      ICQ: 18777742 (http://wwp.icq.com/18777742)
    • muzik_synk
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 28, 2005
        I just install WinCvs 2.0.2.4 (Build 4) any Python 2.4 on Xp.

        When WinCvs is executed it returns "TCL or Python are not available,
        shell is disabled"

        Solution:

        Admin-->Preferences-->WinCvs-->Python DLL-->C:\Program Files\Python24\DLLs

        And

        Admin-->Preferences-->WinCvs-->TCL DLL-->C:\Program
        Files\Python24\python24.dll

        Hope this thread helps resolve your WinCvs issue.

        Theo
      • Oliver Giesen
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005
          "muzik_synk" wrote:

          > I just install WinCvs 2.0.2.4 (Build 4) any Python 2.4 on Xp.
          >
          > When WinCvs is executed it returns "TCL or Python are not available,
          > shell is disabled"
          >
          > Solution:
          >
          > Admin-->Preferences-->WinCvs-->Python DLL-->C:\Program
          > Files\Python24\DLLs
          >
          > And
          >
          > Admin-->Preferences-->WinCvs-->TCL DLL-->C:\Program
          > Files\Python24\python24.dll

          Unless those were both typos I'm surprised this worked for you. The
          Python DLL setting should actually point at what you specified for the
          TCL DLL and the latter should have pointed at the tcl84.dll in the
          directory you gave for the Python DLL...

          If the python24.dll really is in c:\Program Files\Python24 on your
          system then the reason why it was not auto-detected is that you did not
          install Python in "admin mode" (i.e. for all users) and therefore the
          Python DLL was not on the PATH. After an admin-install the DLL would
          have been placed in %windir%\System32 which does tend to be on the
          PATH...

          Hope this helps.

          --
          Oliver
          ------
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005
            "muzik_synk" wrote:

            > I just install WinCvs 2.0.2.4 (Build 4) any Python 2.4 on Xp.
            >
            > When WinCvs is executed it returns "TCL or Python are not available,
            > shell is disabled"
            >
            > Solution:
            >
            > Admin-->Preferences-->WinCvs-->Python DLL-->C:\Program
            > Files\Python24\DLLs
            >
            > And
            >
            > Admin-->Preferences-->WinCvs-->TCL DLL-->C:\Program
            > Files\Python24\python24.dll

            Unless those were both typos I'm surprised this worked for you. The
            Python DLL setting should actually point at what you specified for the
            TCL DLL and the latter should have pointed at the tcl84.dll in the
            directory you gave for the Python DLL...

            If the python24.dll really is in c:\Program Files\Python24 on your
            system then the reason why it was not auto-detected is that you did not
            install Python in "admin mode" (i.e. for all users) and therefore the
            Python DLL was not on the PATH. After an admin-install the DLL would
            have been placed in %windir%\System32 which does tend to be on the
            PATH...

            Hope this helps.

            --
            Oliver
            ------
            In everybody's best interest, please do not post or CC technical
            questions to me in private unless they are specifically about a
            macro/product of mine that is NOT already bundled with WinCvs. I will
            generally forward my replies to such posts to the CVSGUI list without
            further notice.
            ---- ------------------
            JID: ogiesen@...
            ICQ: 18777742 (http://wwp.icq.com/18777742)
          • J. Kleijn
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2007
              Hello

              I'm facing the problem that Python is not recognized by wincvs (TCL or
              Python are not available, shell is disabled). I am using wincvs 2.024 and
              activepython 2.5

              Can anybody help?

              Jeroen