Anyone ever hear of this mushroom in Connecticut?

  • gabaghool
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 7, 2012
      I was talking to a guy from the western part of Connecticut the other night. He is a big time forager, but he stays away from mushrooms except for one...he called them "red caps". He said that he would pass others in the woods who also indicated that they were looking for "red caps"....so this must be a commmon local name for some type of mushroom.

      He said it is an edible, with a red cap, gills, grows in the ground, mostly singular, but sometimes in small groups. Thats the extent of his decription. He is a ramp, fiddlehead and greens forager most, gets nervous around mushrooms.

      I was wondering....anyone here every hear this local name for a type of mushroom?

      PS: This area in Ct is the Canton, New Hartford Rt 44 to Lakeville area.

      Thanks.
    • gabaghool
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 7, 2012
        He said that they had gills, not sponge, but Im wondering if he was seeing a two colored bolete??

      • DSPAHR3D@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 7, 2012
          Wine caps, brick caps and Russulas come to mind. Brick caps don't grow singly and are usually on wood. Red Russulas are acrid and not real safe to eat. Wine caps?

          David Spahr

        • henningersh@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 7, 2012
            Hello

            Just FYI we will be attending the March Mushroom Madness.  Hope to see everyone there.  We will be on the late side...Mom get tired of sitting...and want to enjoy the slide show, lunch, business meeting and the great raffle.

            Happy 2012  Mushroom Foarys

            Love Ya,
            Sharon Henninger and Mom (Babe)
          • Bill Neill
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 7, 2012
              Nick Romano is it?,

              Are you sure he said it had gills?  The German name Rodencappe or somesuch spelling for red cap is for Leccinum aurantiacum type boletes (i.e., L. insigne, L. atrostipitatum etc.).  Russians call them Reds as well (also Podosinivik, spelling?)  You can sometimes find them in the Spring at the end of Morel season under Populus sp./Aspens, Cottonwoods etc. as well as in the Summer and Fall.

              To: cvms@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 7, 2012
                Two things... where do I find info on the march madness on this site? I joined membership, but I don't know what became of it...

                Secondly
                Yeah, he said gills, I was kind of curious, I thought he may be mistaken since he admittedly isn't a mushroomer, I thought two colored bolete. I will see him again around ramp season, so I'll quizz him more, but Ill check out the Leccinum A.

                thank you for your help.
                --- In cvms@yahoogroups.com, Bill Neill <billjneill@...> wrote:

                > Nick Romano is it?,
                >
                > Are you sure he said it had gills? The German name Rodencappe or somesuch spelling for red cap is for Leccinum aurantiacum type boletes (i.e., L. insigne, L. atrostipitatum etc.). Russians call them Reds as well (also Podosinivik, spelling?) You can sometimes find them in the Spring at the end of Morel season under Populus sp./Aspens, Cottonwoods etc. as well as in the Summer and Fall.
                >

                > To: cvms@yahoogroups.com
                > From: DSPAHR3D@...
                > Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 07:04:35 -0500
                > Subject: Re: [cvms] Anyone ever hear of this mushroom in Connecticut?
                >

                > Wine caps, brick caps and Russulas come to mind. Brick caps don't grow singly and are usually on wood. Red Russulas are acrid and not real safe to eat. Wine caps?
                >
                > David Spahr
                >

                > In a message dated 3/7/2012 6:17:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, nck.romano@... writes:
                > I was talking to a guy from the western part of Connecticut the other night. He is a big time forager, but he stays away from mushrooms except for one...he called them "red caps". He said that he would pass others in the woods who also indicated that they were looking for "red caps"....so this must be a commmon local name for some type of mushroom.
                >
                > He said it is an edible, with a red cap, gills, grows in the ground, mostly singular, but sometimes in small groups. Thats the extent of his decription. He is a ramp, fiddlehead and greens forager most, gets nervous around mushrooms.
                >
                > I was wondering....anyone here every hear this local name for a type of mushroom?
                >
                > PS: This area in Ct is the Canton, New Hartford Rt 44 to Lakeville area.
                >
                > Thanks.

              • marty
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 7, 2012
                  I've heard of people referring to birch scaber stalks Leccinum scabrum (?) as "red tops" or orange tops".  I recall that the folks who sought them were pretty focused on those, to the exclusion of other species.
                  Marty

                  --- In cvms@yahoogroups.com, DSPAHR3D@... wrote:

                  > Wine caps, brick caps and Russulas come to mind. Brick caps don't grow
                  > singly and are usually on wood. Red Russulas are acrid and not real safe to
                  > eat. Wine caps?
                  >
                  > David Spahr
                  >

                  > In a message dated 3/7/2012 6:17:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  > nck.romano@... writes:
                  >
                  > I was talking to a guy from the western part of Connecticut the other
                  > night. He is a big time forager, but he stays away from mushrooms except for
                  > one...he called them "red caps". He said that he would pass others in the
                  > woods who also indicated that they were looking for "red caps"....so this must
                  > be a commmon local name for some type of mushroom.
                  >
                  > He said it is an edible, with a red cap, gills, grows in the ground,
                  > mostly singular, but sometimes in small groups. Thats the extent of his
                  > decription. He is a ramp, fiddlehead and greens forager most, gets nervous around
                  > mushrooms.
                  >
                  > I was wondering....anyone here every hear this local name for a type of
                  > mushroom?
                  >
                  > PS: This area in Ct is the Canton, New Hartford Rt 44 to Lakeville area.
                  >
                  > Thanks.

                • nick romano
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 7, 2012
                    Yep, Marty
                    I really think thats it....this guy isn't a shroom guy and I really don't think he really noticed gills or not.....just assumed they did because thats what non mushroom guys would think......He specifically told me that he passes others in the woods who are looking for red tops also........so that matches your post...

                    Funny, my mushroom books don't exactly wax poetically about scaber stalks.

                    Thanks

                    On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM, marty <forager7@...> wrote:

                    I've heard of people referring to birch scaber stalks Leccinum scabrum (?) as "red tops" or orange tops".  I recall that the folks who sought them were pretty focused on those, to the exclusion of other species.
                    Marty

                    --- In cvms@yahoogroups.com, DSPAHR3D@... wrote:

                    > Wine caps, brick caps and Russulas come to mind. Brick caps don't grow
                    > singly and are usually on wood. Red Russulas are acrid and not real safe to
                    > eat. Wine caps?
                    >
                    > David Spahr
                    >

                    > In a message dated 3/7/2012 6:17:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    > nck.romano@... writes:
                    >
                    > I was talking to a guy from the western part of Connecticut the other
                    > night. He is a big time forager, but he stays away from mushrooms except for
                    > one...he called them "red caps". He said that he would pass others in the
                    > woods who also indicated that they were looking for "red caps"....so this must
                    > be a commmon local name for some type of mushroom.
                    >
                    > He said it is an edible, with a red cap, gills, grows in the ground,
                    > mostly singular, but sometimes in small groups. Thats the extent of his
                    > decription. He is a ramp, fiddlehead and greens forager most, gets nervous around
                    > mushrooms.
                    >
                    > I was wondering....anyone here every hear this local name for a type of
                    > mushroom?
                    >
                    > PS: This area in Ct is the Canton, New Hartford Rt 44 to Lakeville area.
                    >
                    > Thanks.

                  • dinah
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 8, 2012
                      Hi, Nick,
                      So sorry for the delay in processing your membership. I am the newsletter editor, Dinah Wells. I am forwarding the January 2012 issue of the club's newsletter to you to the email address you provided when you joined the club. It has information about March Mushroom Madness in it. The morning portion of the event from 9am to 11am (which includes the lecture) is open to the public. Non-members can see it publicized here: http://www.fosw.org/programs.html
                      After the talk, CVMS members remain to have their annual business meeting and potluck lunch. Please contact me off line if you have any further questions. Look forward to seeing you there. Dinah

                      --- In cvms@yahoogroups.com, "gabaghool" <nck.romano@...> wrote:

                      > Two things... where do I find info on the march madness on this site? I joined membership, but I don't know what became of it...
                      >
                      > Secondly
                      > Yeah, he said gills, I was kind of curious, I thought he may be mistaken since he admittedly isn't a mushroomer, I thought two colored bolete. I will see him again around ramp season, so I'll quizz him more, but Ill check out the Leccinum A.
                      >
                      > thank you for your help.
                      > --- In cvms@yahoogroups.com, Bill Neill <billjneill@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Nick Romano is it?,
                      > >
                      > > Are you sure he said it had gills? The German name Rodencappe or somesuch spelling for red cap is for Leccinum aurantiacum type boletes (i.e., L. insigne, L. atrostipitatum etc.). Russians call them Reds as well (also Podosinivik, spelling?) You can sometimes find them in the Spring at the end of Morel season under Populus sp./Aspens, Cottonwoods etc. as well as in the Summer and Fall.
                      > >

                      > > To: cvms@yahoogroups.com
                      > > From: DSPAHR3D@
                      > > Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 07:04:35 -0500
                      > > Subject: Re: [cvms] Anyone ever hear of this mushroom in Connecticut?
                      > >

                      > > Wine caps, brick caps and Russulas come to mind. Brick caps don't grow singly and are usually on wood. Red Russulas are acrid and not real safe to eat. Wine caps?
                      > >
                      > > David Spahr
                      > >

                      > > In a message dated 3/7/2012 6:17:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, nck.romano@ writes:
                      > > I was talking to a guy from the western part of Connecticut the other night. He is a big time forager, but he stays away from mushrooms except for one...he called them "red caps". He said that he would pass others in the woods who also indicated that they were looking for "red caps"....so this must be a commmon local name for some type of mushroom.
                      > >
                      > > He said it is an edible, with a red cap, gills, grows in the ground, mostly singular, but sometimes in small groups. Thats the extent of his decription. He is a ramp, fiddlehead and greens forager most, gets nervous around mushrooms.
                      > >
                      > > I was wondering....anyone here every hear this local name for a type of mushroom?
                      > >
                      > > PS: This area in Ct is the Canton, New Hartford Rt 44 to Lakeville area.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks.

                    • Laurie
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 8, 2012
                        Hey Dinah, miss you.. Hope your well. I'm going to try to get to march madness . But not sure.heather graduates from boot camp that week.if not maybe I'll see u at first foray?

                        Laurie Levack
                        Central Ct Electrolysis

                        On Mar 8, 2012, at 8:25 AM, "dinah" <dinahwells@...> wrote:

> [...]

                        > > David Spahr
                        > >

                        > > In a message dated 3/7/2012 6:17:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, nck.romano@ writes:
                        > > I was talking to a guy from the western part of Connecticut the other night. He is a big time forager, but he stays away from mushrooms except for one...he called them "red caps". He said that he would pass others in the woods who also indicated that they were looking for "red caps"....so this must be a commmon local name for some type of mushroom.
                        > >
                        > > He said it is an edible, with a red cap, gills, grows in the ground, mostly singular, but sometimes in small groups. Thats the extent of his decription. He is a ramp, fiddlehead and greens forager most, gets nervous around mushrooms.
                        > >
                        > > I was wondering....anyone here every hear this local name for a type of mushroom?
                        > >
                        > > PS: This area in Ct is the Canton, New Hartford Rt 44 to Lakeville area.

                      • dinah
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 8, 2012
                          Nick, I sent the newsletter to you. Haven't heard back. Could you please confirm that you received it? Thanks, Dinah

                          --- In cvms@yahoogroups.com, "dinah" <dinahwells@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > >
                          > > > David Spahr
                          > > >

                          > > > In a message dated 3/7/2012 6:17:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, nck.romano@ writes:
                          > > > I was talking to a guy from the western part of Connecticut the other night. He is a big time forager, but he stays away from mushrooms except for one...he called them "red caps". He said that he would pass others in the woods who also indicated that they were looking for "red caps"....so this must be a commmon local name for some type of mushroom.
                          > > >
                          > > > He said it is an edible, with a red cap, gills, grows in the ground, mostly singular, but sometimes in small groups. Thats the extent of his decription. He is a ramp, fiddlehead and greens forager most, gets nervous around mushrooms.
                          > > >
                          > > > I was wondering....anyone here every hear this local name for a type of mushroom?
                          > > >
                          > > > PS: This area in Ct is the Canton, New Hartford Rt 44 to Lakeville area.

                        • gabaghool
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 21, 2012
                            THANKS DINAH
                            Sorry....i was away for a few weeks...yes, it was recieved.

                            Nick