Cumbernauld Town Centre/Antonine Centre

  • barrymccomish
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 17, 2008
      Hi Everyone (or the way the groups has been lately anyone)

      Its about a year since the Antoine Centre opened and I was thinking
      about how it has effected Cumbernauld.

      In short, I think its had little to no difference to Cumbernauld thus
      far. It has had a few named stores come which probably wouldn't have
      had had it not been for the for Antonine, but otherwise there is no
      change.

      You should be able to walk through a shopping centre for a decent
      amount of time just for the enjoyment of window shopping at least, but
      I look and I can walk through the Antonine in less than 30 mins - if I
      take my time. Its a good addition to the centre as a whole, but
      otherwise I think it was a waste of money.

      With the way Cumbernauld is changing and growing it was and still is
      deserving of a new and purpose built shopping centre. Our location is
      absolutely brilliant as a town with the surroundiung areas of Glasgow,
      Stirling, Falkirk, Airdrie, Coatbridge all as a possible catchment
      areas we are in the ideal position to be an ecomonic centre and Glasgow
      and Edinburgh are within a decent distance.

      If you look at Livingstone,this new town has had approximately £500
      million worth of investment and what do we get... £50 million -
      approximately 10% of that of Livingstone.

      There doesn't seem to be any movement from the management of the other
      parts of the town centre, if they are doing something they haven't
      exactly made it well known, and with every passing moment it seems as
      if another store from the Argos (Phase 4???) area of the centre is
      closing. I walked through this area recently and there seems to be a
      fair balance of shops trading and those empty - which is pathetic!

      If you had the ability to do something for Cumbernauld either through
      helping retail businesses move here or something generally for the town
      what would it be? How can you help your town?
    • wayno
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2008
        To tell u the truth, i walk through Antonine centre in about 20 - 30 minutes too,but havent really bothered with the shops since Fopp closed.I still think that the old town centre still looks busier than Antonine sometimes,even with the lack of shops.Am more interested in whats happening with the old ice house, B & Q etc.I dont drink in Cumby coz the pubs are quite rubbish, and the nite club (s) a joke.Saying all that,i like living here and just wish there was more going for it.Sorry if u think am moaning but we deserve better