NYC Peace resolution, FYI

  • jocx@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12 2:46 PM
      ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
      www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545 | Click to subscribe

      Please forward widely!

      Petition to pass a NYC City Council Peace Zone Resolution (petition available at www.unitedforpeace.org/nyc):
      � Call on the Council of the City of New York to declare New York City be a Peace Zone and to further declare April 29, 2006, New York City Peace Zone Day, a day on which New Yorkers will participate in an orderly, peaceful demonstration calling for the orderly and rapid withdrawal of all U.S. forces from Iraq; and�
      � Support the City Council Resolution calling for an orderly and rapid withdrawal of all United States military personnel from Iraq; and
      � Call on the City Council to urge that the financial resources used to prosecute the war be redirected to address the urgent needs of America�s great urban centers and the most vulnerable portions of our population, including in the areas of health, education and homeland security.

      Together we can do this by the APRIL 29, 2006, the day of the March for Peace, Justice and Democracy, to be held in our own great city.

      What to do:

      1) Petition. Download the NEW YORK CITY PEACE ZONE PETITION from www.unitedforpeace.org/nyc. The 3rd anniversary activities happening all over the city in the next few days offer many opportunities to petition. This is a great organizing tool for your own group, UFPJ, and the Peace Zone goals. Return petitions to UFPJ by April 7th so they can be delivered to the City Council in time for a vote on the resolution.
      2) Pass a PEACE ZONE resolution in your own community group. Use the language of the petition above for your resolution..

      3) Call, fax, email, and send letters to your City Council member in support of a New York City Peace Zone Resolution.
      Find your Council Member: www.lwvnyc.org/TRY_find.html. IN ALL CONTACTS, PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME, ADDRESS, AND PHONE. (When we have the new Resolution number, we will circulate it.)