Get a brain! Morans

  • Cubbie Blue Ralph
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2003
      The Desipio web site posted a picture today of a Deadbird fan (he is
      wearing a Cardinal t-shirt) holding a sign reading "Get a brain!
      Morans". Andy Dolan posted this picture as irrefutable evidence of
      the cranial capacity of the average Cardinal fan. He is being
      harsh. It may well be that the author of the sign is a member of the
      Morans family, and when signing his work he didn't choose to use his
      first name. Possibly he is directing his message to someone named
      Morans. Maybe he intended to tell us something about Morans and just
      ran out of room. However, the guy has a mullet, so he clearly is a
      moron.
    • Maynard G. Krebs
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2003
        --- In cubscoven@yahoogroups.com, "Cubbie Blue Ralph"
        <cubbiebluestew@y...> wrote:
        > The Desipio web site posted a picture today of a Deadbird fan (he is
        > wearing a Cardinal t-shirt) holding a sign reading "Get a brain!
        > Morans".

        Where can I see this? (What's the address?)
      • socherball
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2003
          --- In cubscoven@yahoogroups.com, "Maynard G. Krebs" <iowafrank@a...>
          wrote:
          > --- In cubscoven@yahoogroups.com, "Cubbie Blue Ralph"
          > <cubbiebluestew@y...> wrote:
          > > The Desipio web site posted a picture today of a Deadbird fan (he
          is
          > > wearing a Cardinal t-shirt) holding a sign reading "Get a brain!
          > > Morans".
          >
          > Where can I see this? (What's the address?)

          I second that....I would like to see it as well.

          BTW - Frank, how was the game?
        • Maynard G. Krebs
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2003
            --- In cubscoven@yahoogroups.com, "socherball" <socherball@c...>
            wrote:
            > > BTW - Frank, how was the game?

            Gloatworthy.

            The group behind me (was passes as "businessmen" in StL) razzed me
            pretty good before the game, asking me for my predictions. They were
            as follows:

            1. You won't notice Prior is unhittable until you realize it's the
            seventh or eighth inning and you have nothing to show for it.

            2. In this particular game, the Cardinals will be outscored by the
            Cubs AND the Pirates. ;)

            3. We may not leave town in first place, but the Cards won't be in
            first when we leave, either.

            I think I was pretty close on the first one, and it's funny to hear
            Kerry Robinson saying exactly what I thought the Deadbird fans would
            be saying. On the second one, I had it until the Cards picked up
            those meaningless runs in the ninth. I stand by my third prediction.

            At the end of the game, one of them "pointed out" that we had just
            used up our only good pitcher, and that in the next two games the
            Cards get to "rip" that "over-the-hill Kerry Woods" and "some Mexican
            nobody". I had no response to that, which is either a testament to my
            powers of discretion, or a result of being fairly reluctant to
            further a conversation with someone who had to be helped to the
            bathroom after his fourth beer.

            One of the guys behind me was actually pretty cool about it. He made
            several comments about how stacked we were at the pitching position,
            and how this was the first time in his memory that he was worried
            about a Cubs sweep. With his relative wisdom, it was not surprising
            to learn later in the game that he had lived in Iowa for some time,
            and still had in-laws there. ;) Class by osmosis.
          • socherball
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 27, 2003
              wrote:
              > --- In cubscoven@yahoogroups.com, "socherball" <socherball@c...>
              > wrote:
              > > > BTW - Frank, how was the game?
              >

              > Gloatworthy.
              >
              > The group behind me (was passes as "businessmen" in StL) razzed me
              > pretty good before the game, asking me for my predictions. They
              were
              > as follows:
              >
              > 1. You won't notice Prior is unhittable until you realize it's the
              > seventh or eighth inning and you have nothing to show for it.
              >
              > 2. In this particular game, the Cardinals will be outscored by the
              > Cubs AND the Pirates. ;)
              >
              > 3. We may not leave town in first place, but the Cards won't be in
              > first when we leave, either.
              >
              > I think I was pretty close on the first one, and it's funny to hear
              > Kerry Robinson saying exactly what I thought the Deadbird fans
              would
              > be saying. On the second one, I had it until the Cards picked up
              > those meaningless runs in the ninth. I stand by my third prediction.
              >
              > At the end of the game, one of them "pointed out" that we had just
              > used up our only good pitcher, and that in the next two games the
              > Cards get to "rip" that "over-the-hill Kerry Woods" and "some
              Mexican
              > nobody". I had no response to that, which is either a testament to
              my
              > powers of discretion, or a result of being fairly reluctant to
              > further a conversation with someone who had to be helped to the
              > bathroom after his fourth beer.

              Well, I'm with Rob, I hope the "over-the-hill Kerry Woods" and
              the "Mexican nobody" stick it up the Cards ass.

              And is there anything funnier than trying to rip a team/player and
              getting the facts/names wrong? Cardinals fans most knowledgable my
              ASS!
            • Maynard G. Krebs
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 27, 2003
                wrote:
                > > And is there anything funnier than trying to rip a team/player
                and getting the facts/names wrong? Cardinals fans most knowledgable
                my ASS!

                What I really wanted to tell him is that we have "Mexican nobodies"
                logjammed in AA ball that would be a #3 starter for the Cards.
                Dammit, wouldn't it be fun if Sisco AND Hagerty were both in the bigs
                right now?

                Christ, the Cards have so little depth right now that Tomko was the
                FIRST pinch-hitter LaRussa used last night. It might have made sense
                if the leadoff man would have reached, but with one out and nobody
                on?
              • Scott Fendley
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 27, 2003
                  Another reason not to carry 12 pitchers. With Renteria out, and
                  Matheny taking a day off, who else did they have that early? Heck,
                  they should let Tomko play RF - he hits as well as Robinson and
                  probably fields better.

                  Their actual bench last night was Matheny (probably an emergency),
                  Perez (won't make anyone forget the old man), Palmiero (the lesser),
                  and So-So Taguchi.

                  That's a laughable bench anyway.

                  wrote:
                  > --- In cubscoven@yahoogroups.com, "socherball" <socherball@c...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > > And is there anything funnier than trying to rip a team/player
                  > and getting the facts/names wrong? Cardinals fans most
                  knowledgable
                  > my ASS!
                  >

                  > What I really wanted to tell him is that we have "Mexican nobodies"
                  > logjammed in AA ball that would be a #3 starter for the Cards.
                  > Dammit, wouldn't it be fun if Sisco AND Hagerty were both in the
                  bigs
                  > right now?
                  >
                  > Christ, the Cards have so little depth right now that Tomko was the
                  > FIRST pinch-hitter LaRussa used last night. It might have made
                  sense
                  > if the leadoff man would have reached, but with one out and nobody
                  > on?
                • Cubbie Blue Ralph
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 27, 2003
                    wrote:
                    > --- In cubscoven@yahoogroups.com, "Cubbie Blue Ralph"
                    > <cubbiebluestew@y...> wrote:
                    > > The Desipio web site posted a picture today of a Deadbird fan (he
                    is
                    > > wearing a Cardinal t-shirt) holding a sign reading "Get a brain!
                    > > Morans".
                    >
                    > Where can I see this? (What's the address?)

                    Try http://www.desipio.com and look at the August 26 "discussion"
                    section. Dolan is very funny. The site is sort of a Jon
                    Stewart "Daily Show" with a Chicago Cubs emphasis. However, he is
                    also an addict of TV shows aimed toward men in their early twenties.