What I've been up to lately

  • Amy C Nelson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 17, 2009

      Hi Kate and everyone,

                      It’s been a very busy spring and summer for me.  I got my parents moved to town which took up most of May and June and part of July.  I have been working on dolls pretty much exclusively since I saw you last.  I made another Dragon as I was asked to make a pattern for it and needed to remake in order to write the instructions!  I entered that doll and another in the doll conference I attend every year in Albuquerque in July (which was a little over two weeks ago) and got first place and a Judge’s choice on the other doll and send place on the second dragon in my division.  I got some great feedback on the dragon which I need to incorporate in the pattern, so I’ll get to make another one to work out the details.  I will need to make a fourth as a sample doll to go in the booth of the fabric vendor who’d asked me for the pattern.  Whew!  That’s a lot of dragons!

                      I also made a doll as a donation for the conference auction.  She went home with an attendee from Arizona.  I am now working on a couple of dolls for the quilt show in Houston.  I need to have them done, plus another I haven’t started, and in Houston by the end of September, so I’m hopping!

                      How about you?  I have been checking blogs and love the glass beads.  Are you and Peg still interested in getting a booth at one of the Christmas art/craft fairs?  I’m really pushing to get enough dolls to do that if you guys are still interested.

      Talk to you later!

      Amy

      AnLiNa Designs

      www.anlinadesigns.com

      www.anlinadesigns.com/blog

    • Kate Anderson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17, 2009
        It's good to hear from you Amy, glad the moving is behind you! Your new dolls and dragons sound fantastic, you have really been busy.
        Peg asked me to remind you that she has a crystal ball for your gypsy doll.
        Also Amy, we have a new member who is interested in handmade books and I hope she will chime in and introduce herself when she is ready.

        Kate
        http://fromsaladostudio.blogspot.com/

        Peg

        http://annandesigns.blogspot.com/

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 18, 2009
          Hi Everyone, yes I have to say we have become the quietest group ever!  As Kate stated, I hope everyone will send out an email telling all about what you've been involved in this year.  I realize we have quite a varied group of women here, so "what say", let's all reintroduce ourselves and tell about our art.

          My name is Jeri Aaron, I've met a few of you in years past.
          I'm basically into altered art creations.  I make a few cards (very few), love assemblages, adore making books - I write stories and then create a book that sort of "wraps" itself around the story.  I also work a lot with cabinet cards, do some canvas creations, altered books - and the list goes on!

          I also hold a few art retreats each year.  Most of those are set up for the attendees to bring whatever they want to work on and I provide a couple of make & takes for the weekend.  I am also holding a Gypsy Lore bookmaking class in Maggie Valley, NC in late October - I think that will be a glorious time to be in the Smoky and Blue Ridge mountains - can't wait to enjoy all the fall colors!  And then next April I am holding (Salado, TX) the Shady Ladies Altered Art Workshops, a retreat with several teachers offering lots of wonderful ideas.

          So to sum it up, my life has been filled with art creations and the sharing of them along with holding weekend retreats and planning more!

          Let's hear from the rest of you - and ABSTRACT DREAMER, our newest member, we're waiting to hear all about you!

          JERI
          "The secret to life is a good cup of coffee"

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 18, 2009

            Hi Jeri!  Good idea.

            I’m Amy and live in Round Rock.  I have altered books, but none lately.  I bind books, mostly for my journals.  I quilt and design and make cloth dolls.  I play in my journal periodically.  I have a day job, so spend less time being creative than I’d like.

            Peg and Kate – No I haven’t forgotten the ball.  When’s a good time to meet up?

            Amy

            AnLiNa Designs

            www.anlinadesigns.com

            www.anlinadesigns.com/blog

          • time_for_arte
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 19, 2009
              I have been crocheting semi-precious beads, chips, pebbles and nuggets into necklaces with sterling and fine silver wire and colored copper wire. Kate is going to help me with a blog and pictures in the NEAR future (right?). I have been practicing making glass beads but the good ones are few and far between – so I am trying to figure out a use for wonky beads! I pieced a quilt. My muse is leading me back to an old love: metalwork. A play day sounds like fun!
            • lindaofmoffat
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 21, 2009
                Hi all Linda Manning Findley here ..... it's been a while since I did much art our daughter has had a complicated pregnancy, she was bed rest and I have been helping with her over the last 4 months ..... but we now have a beautiful miracle baby she is perfect and our DD and hubby are doing good so and proud parents ... in a few months I will be back to doing lots of art and only seeing our GD for short visits but totally enjoying her ..... I am an altered book, collage and mixed media artist and I teach what I know or have learned ... I have an Altered Book Retreat/Workshop in the spring of each year and am thinking of expanding it to 2 or 3 times a year .... hope to see everyone at the next get together ...... Linda

                Linda Manning Findley
                ART work - http://theartsook.blogspot.com
                TEACHING - http://alteredbookretreats.blogspot.com

                --- In ctpaperarts@yahoogroups.com, "time_for_arte" <PASalado1@...> wrote:

                > I have been crocheting semi-precious beads, chips, pebbles and nuggets into necklaces with sterling and fine silver wire and colored copper wire. Kate is going to help me with a blog and pictures in the NEAR future (right?). I have been practicing making glass beads but the good ones are few and far between � so I am trying to figure out a use for wonky beads! I pieced a quilt. My muse is leading me back to an old love: metalwork. A play day sounds like fun!

              • G.M. Mitsdarfer
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 22, 2009

                  Hi Everyone,

                  Thanks for letting me join your circle.

                  I love experimental painting and playing with acrylics in journals, on canvases, and on watercolor paper (hot-press being my favorite). Currently, I’m fascinated with the book arts as I’ve had a hard time finding my favorite paper in a journal form. This year, I took two classes at the Southwest Craft Center in San Antonio about book sewing and book binding. Soon, I wish to make books with a simple piece of leather as the structure, sewing the signatures into the spine.

                  That’s about it for now.

                  Gina

                  http://mymindisinablog.blogspot.com/