FW: A European Style Tax?

  • Scheduler
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4 2:14 PM

      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: Philip Hinson <plh001@...>
      To: FairTax District Directors <FAIRTAX_DD@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:56:40 PM
      Subject: A European Style Tax?

      http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/01/news/economy/tully_vat.fortune/index.htm

      The editor needs to hear from FairTax supporters.  He needs to hear lucid and well thought out arguments relative to why the FairTax is superior to a VAT.

      Phil Hinson

    • William Condon
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5 2:47 AM
        You're asking me to waste my time.

        Here's a quote from the piece;

        "The genius of the VAT is that, while the consumer pays it, the actual cash is mostly collected from producers before it reaches the retailer. Since the VAT is essentially a hidden charge embedded in the price of goods and services, raising the VAT doesn't arouse nearly the uproar caused by increasing income taxes."

        In other words, the beauty of the VAT is that it's clandestine.  The writer is OK with that.  One beauty of the FairTax (among many) is that it is in the open.  We will know the moment taxes are raised.

        I can't change this person's outlook on life with a few enlightening words, but you're welcome to try.

        William F. Condon