USA Today

  • Anton
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2007
      "67,204-page code confounds taxpayers, yet Congress sits by"
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/2007-04-03-edit_N.htm?csp=34

      This year, individuals and companies will spend about $300 billion, according to the non-partisan Tax Foundation, on tax preparation costs. To put that in perspective, that is a 20% levy on top of the $1.5 trillion they will actually pay in taxes.

      Some 60% of filers — including IRS Commissioner Mark Everson — will pay a professional to do their taxes for them. Everson, who spoke with USA TODAY's editorial board Tuesday, said: "I don't want to get a letter from the IRS saying I made a mistake."

      "Personal data at risk in lost IRS laptops"
      http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/credit/2007-04-05-irs-usat_N.htm

      At least 490 IRS computers have been stolen or lost since 2003 in security breaches that potentially jeopardized the personal information of more than 2,000 taxpayers, a government audit reported Wednesday.

      Anton