Attacks misrepresenting the FairTax

  • Sam Wright
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2004
      Attacks misrepresenting the FairTax – the national retail sales tax –
      in Connecticut congressional race fail to slow Simmons.

      Contact: Tom Wright or Genie Hayes at 1-800-FAIRTAX ex 137, both of
      FairTax.org

      HOUSTON November 4, 2004 – "Rob Simmons (CT-02) won his race tonight
      despite unethical push polls and subsequent TV distorting the FairTax
      national retail sales tax," stated Tom Wright, executive director of
      FairTax.org. "These attacks started with a campaign of lies and half-
      truths in South Carolina, where targeted Senator-elect Jim DeMint won
      handily. The attacks spread to illegal push polls in some 50 senate
      and congressional races, where Simmons and many others are winning
      tonight. According to our FairTax scorecard, Simmons has never taken
      a position on the FairTax – yet he was targeted."

      "Without making light of the welter of attacks nationwide, there were
      many races where we are seeing the FairTax virtually defended
      itself," continued Wright. "In the heat of a campaign, neither an
      incumbent nor a candidate expects such a well-orchestrated attack
      based on legislation they have never co-sponsored nor supported. Of
      the 47 candidates, 25 had no prior position on the FairTax, and only
      seven were co-sponsors. We thank these candidates, like Simmons, who
      took the drubbing on behalf of honest tax replacement."

      "The architects of this folly – clearly those with special-interest
      attachment to our current failed internal revenue and Social Security
      tax system – used every dirty trick in the book," continued
      Wright. "Illegal push polls to gauge voter reaction. If those lies
      bit, they initiated TV, as in this race, radio, direct mail, spam,
      even outdoor to the tune of millions of dollars. The lies never bit
      in Connecticut District 2."

      "We're delighted that our legislation has become such a threat to the
      supporters of the current, failed tax systems," stated Wright. "The
      FairTax is a non-partisan issue that honestly detaxes the working
      poor of America, which the current system does not. Ends audits on
      earned income tax credit filers. Ends our working poor's most
      regressive enemy, Social Security withholding. Reduces effective tax
      rates on Social Security recipients. Reduces effective tax rates on
      the middle class. Successfully taxes the wealthy according to their
      lifestyle. Successfully taxes the accumulated assets of the
      wealthy. Replaces narrow, regressive payroll taxes funding our
      unsound Social Security system with broad, progressive sales taxes.
      Ends civil liberty intrusions well beyond Patriot Act trifles. All
      this with a system that extracts the same revenue from the economy as
      the current systems, ensuring revenue neutrality as well as price
      stability."