Central Texas DITA Users Group meeting 9/20/06
- Join the Central Texas DITA Users Group (CTDUG) at their regular monthy
meeting this coming Wednesday evening, September 20.
Following our summer theme of tools and vendor demos, this month's
provocative topic is "Love Struck Baby: XMetaL 5.0, the DITA OT, and
Specializations," presented by Tom Magliery of XMetaL.
Tom says that he will talk on the new and improved DITA-related features in
the 5.0 release of XMetaL Author. In particular he'll "demonstrate
XMetaL's specialization support and its improved integration with the DITA
OT. Other new features include more thorough map editing capability (read:
reltables) and -- of interest to CMS developers and partners -- an
abstraction layer that helps provide consistent user interfaces to
multiple, disparate repositories." Whether you are evaluating editors as a
user, or integrating DITA with your company's content infrastructure, it
looks like Tom will have some useful information for you.
Plan ahead for the October 18 meeting, at which Astoria is tentatively
lined up to give us some background in CMS considerations with DITA.
Don't forget that the meetings are currently being held at IBM (details
What: Central Texas DITA Users (CTDUG) Group meeting
When: Wednesday September 20, 2006 7:00 - 9:00 pm Central
Where: IBM - Longhorn room in the Customer Briefing Center (building 904)
11501 Burnet Rd
Austin, Texas 78758
7:00-7:30 General announcements and networking
7:30-8:30 Speaker – Tom Maglieri, "Love Struck Baby: XMetaL 5.0, the DITA
OT, and Specializations"
It is okay to bring food, drinks, or laptops into the meeting. There *may*
be wireless guest access. Presenters who need internet access for
collaborative presentations should be certain that we plan for it to be
Driving directions to building 904:
FROM THE AIRPORT:
1) Exit airport following signs for 71 West/183
2) Follow 71 West approx. 1.3 miles to exit for 183 North
3) Take Hwy 183 North for approx. 13.2 miles
(Please note, as you cross the river, the highway splits. Bear right to
stay on Hwy 183 North)
4) Take the Mopac/Loop 1 North exit
5) Drive approx. 2 miles on Loop 1 North
6) Take the Burnet Rd. / FM 1325 Exit
7) Follow the access road to the first light, turn right onto Burnet Rd.
8) At second light, turn left into IBM facility at 11501 Burnet Rd.
9) The center building in the front row is Bldg. 904 (with the fountain)
10) Follow signs to visitor parking.
FROM THE DOWNTOWN AREA:
1) From Congress Ave., turn west onto 6th Street (a one way street
2) Drive 1.5 miles
3) Enter Mopac/Loop 1 Northbound
4) Drive approx. 10 miles and take the Burnet Rd./Duval Rd. exit
5) At first light, turn right onto Duval Rd. (Duval Rd. merges with Burnet
Rd. one block later.)
6) At second light, turn left into IBM facility at 11501 Burnet Rd.
7) The center building in the front row is Bldg. 904 (with the fountain)
8) Follow signs to visitor parking.
FROM: RENAISSANCE HOTEL / ARBORETUM AREA / GREAT HILLS TRAIL
1) Exiting the main entrance, go straight (north) on Jollyville Road approx
.5 miles to Braker Lane (2nd light)
2) Turn right on Braker Lane for approx 1.7 mile
3) Turn left on Burnet Road for approx 0.6 mile
4) Enter IBM facility on right side of road at 11501 Burnet Rd.
5) The center building in the front row is Bldg. 904 (with the fountain)
6) Follow signs to visitor parking.
The Longhorn Room is on the first floor, to the right of the security desk.
There will be a "CTDUG" sign in the window of the meeting room, facing the
wide driveway. Rap on that window so that someone can come open the front
door for you.
Program director, Central Texas DITA User Group
"Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"