Hi

  • photosbywoowoo
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2010
      So sorry to barge in on you all, but I wondered if you might be able to help, or at least point me in the direction of some good information.

      We produce two weekly podcasts, and for each we produce a set of shownotes (a hybrid transcript/whitepaper) and summary slides. They are both created in Word, pdf'd and put on our website.

      We've started to realize that we could combine some of the casts we've already completed and use them for clients or sell them as series. However, that would mean going back to the Word documents, making all the changes, blah, blah complicated!

      We think we need dynamic publishing, or something similar to allow us to reuse the content more easily, but the systems seem to start at $25K, which is very expensive! We know that DITA is a standard which has to do with information reuse, but we're a little lost as to exactly how these systems work and what we should be looking for.

      In addition, we've read that writers begin to write differently when they start using these systems. Can anyone verify that or know how we could?

      Thank you for reading this far and for any help you can give,

      Wendii
    • bob_beims
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2010
        Wendii;

        Sounds like XML and DITA in particular would be a good move for you, but you're right that it can be expensive. But it doesn't have to be, assuming you have a team that can tackle technical challenges on its own.

        There are a couple resources you might want to look at:
        • http://www.ditausers.org/
        • http://www.lone-dita.com/ (seems to be offline right now)

        Regards,
        Bob