Program ideas for this spring

  • amgentle
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 21, 2010
      Hi all -
      We're actively seeking input and presenters for this spring's Central Texas DITA Users Group programs. We can meet on either the third Wednesday or fourth Wednesday of the month. Most recently we've been fortunate to share programs with other DITA user groups across the country.

      What would you like to talk about, learn, or present in the coming months? Please send your ideas to the group, and I'll follow up.

      Thanks,
      Anne Gentle
      www.justwriteclick.com
    • paul arellanes
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 21, 2010
        Hello,

        I would like to learn if anyone has tried integrating DITA-XML content into a Drupal-based site.

        thank you,
        paul

        "We must become the change we wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

        Paul Arellanes

        http://www.facebook.com/arellanes
        http://twitter.com/paulthomas_tx
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/paularellanes

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 21, 2010
          Re: [ctdug] Program ideas for this spring Something we’re just starting to look into, and about which would love to hear a “from the trenches” report:

          Creating context-sensitive help packages using DITA

          In particular, best practices for defining the handles in both the s/w product and the DITA source files and then linking them together at run time.

          Bob

          Hi all -
          We're actively seeking input and presenters for this spring's Central Texas DITA Users Group programs. We can meet on either the third Wednesday or fourth Wednesday of the month. Most recently we've been fortunate to share programs with other DITA user groups across the country.

          What would you like to talk about, learn, or present in the coming months? Please send your ideas to the group, and I'll follow up.

          Thanks,
          Anne Gentle
          www.justwriteclick.com
        • Ben Allums
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 21, 2010
            Bob Beims wrote:
            > Something we’re just starting to look into, and about which would love
            > to hear a “from the trenches” report:
            >
            > Creating context-sensitive help packages using DITA
            >

            > In particular, best practices for defining the handles in both the s/w
            > product and the DITA source files and then linking them together at run
            > time.

            I can talk about this from the perspective of our ePublisher tool. Can
            someone else talk about the Open Toolkit's approach?

            Ben
          • Lisa Joy Dyer
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 21, 2010
              I can talk about "business intelligence as best practice in user assistance". I'm currently slated to give the talk at WritersUA in March, so probably April would be good.

              It includes a demo of Google Analytics (against a live knowledge system) and a primer on how to use APIs to create custom dashboard mashups and such.

              Cheers,

              - lisa

              On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:00 AM, amgentle <annegentle@...> wrote:

              Hi all -
              We're actively seeking input and presenters for this spring's Central Texas DITA Users Group programs. We can meet on either the third Wednesday or fourth Wednesday of the month. Most recently we've been fortunate to share programs with other DITA user groups across the country.

              What would you like to talk about, learn, or present in the coming months? Please send your ideas to the group, and I'll follow up.

              Thanks,
              Anne Gentle
              www.justwriteclick.com

            • Eliot Kimber
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 21, 2010
                I would like to do a session on the DITA for Publishers project, if there would be interest. I could also talk about keys and how to use them.

                Cheers,

                Eliot

                --
                Eliot Kimber
              • Mary Connor
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 24, 2010
                  I second that wish!
                  Mary Connor

                  On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:45 AM, paul arellanes <ptaarellanes@...> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I would like to learn if anyone has tried integrating DITA-XML content into a Drupal-based site.
                • bob_beims
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 25, 2010
                    Ben;

                    I guess I was thinking one or more steps back in the pipeline from the publication engine. Specifically, we're looking for best practices such as:
                    1. when authoring DITA maps/topics, how do you identify a specific node in the tree with a unique identifier such that it can be targeted by the appropriate UI action in an application?
                    2. when coding an application, how do you identify specific UI actions with a unique identifier that can be used by the context-sensitive help invocation mechanism to display the appropriate help topic?
                    3. how do you tie the unique IDs of the help content source (DITA) with the unique IDs of the application UI actions in order to compile an integrated context-sensitive help environment?
                    4. how do you take into account separate reuse vectors for the DITA content and application source code?
                    In other words, we're at the "creating a context sensitive help system newbies" stage and need some basic strategy education before we get to the implementation stage.

                    Regards,
                    Bob

                    --- In ctdug@yahoogroups.com, Ben Allums <allums@...> wrote:

                    > Bob Beims wrote:
                    > > Something we're just starting to look into, and about which would love
                    > > to hear a "from the trenches" report:
                    > >
                    > > Creating context-sensitive help packages using DITA
                    > >

                    > > In particular, best practices for defining the handles in both the s/w
                    > > product and the DITA source files and then linking them together at run
                    > > time.
                    >
                    > I can talk about this from the perspective of our ePublisher tool. Can
                    > someone else talk about the Open Toolkit's approach?
                    >

                    > Ben
                  • bob_beims
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 25, 2010
                      Sounds like a great topic to me!

                      Bob

                      --- In ctdug@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Joy Dyer <lisa.dyer@...> wrote:

                      > I can talk about "business intelligence as best practice in user
                      > assistance". I'm currently slated to give the talk at WritersUA in March, so
                      > probably April would be good.
                      >
                      > It includes a demo of Google Analytics (against a live knowledge system) and
                      > a primer on how to use APIs to create custom dashboard mashups and such.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > - lisa
                    • bob_beims
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 25, 2010
                        Hey Eliot;

                        Sounds interesting to me ... but could you post a link to the "DITA for Publishers project" here so that others can weigh in with their thoughts?

                        Thanks,
                        Bob

                        --- In ctdug@yahoogroups.com, Eliot Kimber <drmacro@...> wrote:

                        > I would like to do a session on the DITA for Publishers project, if there
                        > would be interest. I could also talk about keys and how to use them.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Eliot
                      • amgentle
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 26, 2010
                          Hi Bob -
                          DITA for Publishers, the project, can be found here:
                          http://ebookarchitects.com/conversions/services.php

                          And Eliot has a blog entry describing it on the Really [] Strategies blog here:
                          http://blog.reallysi.com/2009/05/dita-for-publishers-new-community-project.html

                          Eliot was able to take the Indesign source files from my book and publish to DITA.

                          Anne

                          --- In ctdug@yahoogroups.com, "bob_beims" <bob.beims@...> wrote:

                          > Hey Eliot;
                          >
                          > Sounds interesting to me ... but could you post a link to the "DITA for
                          > Publishers project" here so that others can weigh in with their
                          > thoughts?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Bob
                          >

                          > --- In ctdug@yahoogroups.com, Eliot Kimber <drmacro@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I would like to do a session on the DITA for Publishers project, if
                          > there
                          > > would be interest. I could also talk about keys and how to use them.
                          > >
                          > > Cheers,
                          > >
                          > > Eliot

                        • nodyad
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 18, 2010
                            --- In ctdug@yahoogroups.com, Mary Connor <maryconnor@...> wrote:

                            > I second that wish!
                            > Mary Connor
                            >
                            > On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:45 AM, paul arellanes <ptaarellanes@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hello,
                            > >
                            > > I would like to learn if anyone has tried integrating DITA-XML content into a Drupal-based site.

                            Mary, I'm sorry it took such a long time to discover your moderated post and get it released.

                            There has been a Drupal community proposal to provide a DITA capability, but that was several years ago. Here's letting the developer community know that "DITA in wikis and blogs" is a growing request!
                            --
                            Don Day, CTDUG moderator
                          • Eliot Kimber
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 18, 2010
                              http://dita4publishers.sourceforge.net

                              Cheers,

                              E.

                              On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 3:37 PM, nodyad <dond@...> wrote:

                              --- In ctdug@yahoogroups.com, Mary Connor <maryconnor@...> wrote:

                              > I second that wish!
                              > Mary Connor
                              >
                              > On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:45 AM, paul arellanes <ptaarellanes@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hello,
                              > >
                              > > I would like to learn if anyone has tried integrating DITA-XML content into a Drupal-based site.

                              Mary, I'm sorry it took such a long time to discover your moderated post and get it released.

                              There has been a Drupal community proposal to provide a DITA capability, but that was several years ago. Here's letting the developer community know that "DITA in wikis and blogs" is a growing request!
                              --
                              Don Day, CTDUG moderator

                              --
                              Eliot Kimber
                            • Jason Keever
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 18, 2010
                                Mary:
                                Quark's Dynamic Publishing Solution (QDPS) can has off the shelf integration with Drupal WCM and can easily push DITA XML into Drupal.  I'd be happy to discuss this at your convenience.
                                Jason Keever
                                806.548.2422
                                jkeever@...