Hi User Group

  • rebmarmad
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2008
      I see you are located in/around Austin. I'm here in Dallas, and our
      tech pubs department is looking to migrate from structured Framemaker
      to DITA using Xmetal and our CMS (Vasont).

      We've been talking about doing this for about 8 months (!) and we are
      just now getting traction. We have VISION but not much real life
      experience to supplement our enthusiasm. Our feet remain somewhat sunk
      in clay.

      I'd hoped to find a DITA users group here in North Texas... didn't see
      one listed on the Oasis website. An even better option would be a DITA-
      Xmetal user group because we know the inherent problems of round-
      tripping XML with Framemaker all too well.

      Anyhoo, if you know of a user group in North Texas, feel free to point
      me that way. Meanwhile, I'll hang out with you all virtually and see
      what I might learn. I'm sorry to miss your meetings because they sound
      rather fun.

      Regards,
      Rebecca
    • Bob Beims
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2008
        Rebecca;

        We do try to have "fun" meetings, and they've been incredibly helpful
        to me (and hopefully everyone else involved). My suggestion: create a
        North Texas DITA Users Group by hosting it at your company!

        Alternatively, you could perhaps find a local STC chapter to link up
        with, either to create a DITA track for STC sessions, or to find
        others in the area wrestling with XML/DITA/topic-based-authoring
        issues (who will become the core of your NTDUG group).

        I'm sure Don Day will have some other ideas.

        Regards,
        Bob
      • Marmaduke, Rebecca
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 11, 2008

          Bob,

          Yes, someone else (Joe Williams) said, “Start your own DITA group!” It’s better to do than to wish, I think. I’m definitely weak on the subject matter now, but the point is organization—get local folks involved in the knowledge share. I can certainly do that!

          We suddenly find ourselves deeper in DITA that we might have presumed. As I mentioned to Joe, one of our OEM partners has already made the transition. We now get to figure out how our stuff maps to DITA anyway, so there you go.

          Thanks for the reply,

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12, 2008
            Hello Central Texas UG,

            Bob Zebian and I made contact, and we decided to become charter members
            of the local DFW DITA users group.

            We are JUST getting started, but we will see how it goes. Meanwhile,
            you all do have critical mass, so we will continue to follow in your
            wake. So now we have a regional thing going, I guess.

            Rebecca
          • Lisa Dyer
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 19, 2008
              And for the Twitter community out there, here's another virtual venue
              for getting plugged into what DITA users are up to in Central Texas at
              least:

              http://twemes.com/ctdug

              Don't know what Twitter is? Microblogging for busy minimalists, for
              one:) Check it out at:

              http://twitter.com/home

              - lisa

              --- In ctdug@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Beims" <bob.beims@...> wrote:

              > Rebecca;
              >
              > We do try to have "fun" meetings, and they've been incredibly helpful
              > to me (and hopefully everyone else involved). My suggestion: create a
              > North Texas DITA Users Group by hosting it at your company!
              >
              > Alternatively, you could perhaps find a local STC chapter to link up
              > with, either to create a DITA track for STC sessions, or to find
              > others in the area wrestling with XML/DITA/topic-based-authoring
              > issues (who will become the core of your NTDUG group).
              >
              > I'm sure Don Day will have some other ideas.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Bob

            • Don Day
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 22, 2008
                I'm behind on email, Rebecca, but Bob is exactly who I was thinking to
                mention to you. I think that a DFW DITA User Group is a great idea.

                DITA is a good fit for companies that exchange information with other
                companies, and the OEM case drives home the value of having a standard like
                DITA as a common denominator for that exchange. I'd like to think more
                about the idea of a session on exactly the scenaro of how DITA fits into
                content interchange and the re-branding/cross-branding of product
                information.

                One thing we might try as attendance ramps back up this fall is the idea of
                a joint meeting where both groups meet on the same night and time, and we
                share live programs via web conferencing. For those cases where the
                speaker is remote anyway, the interactions with the speaker are the same
                whether you are in Austin or Dallas (as with a recent program given by John
                Hunt of the OASIS DITA Learning Content Subcommittee). Keep us posted!

                Regards,
                --
                Don Day
                Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

                --T.S. Eliot

                "rebmarmad"
                <rebecca.marmaduk
                e@...> To
                Sent by: ctdug@yahoogroups.com
                ctdug@yahoogroups cc
                .com
                Subject
                [ctdug] Starting a DFW DITA group
                06/12/2008 10:03 in Yahoo
                AM

                Please respond to
                ctdug@yahoogroups
                .com

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 23, 2008

                  Some of our OEM suppliers (whose documents we co-opt as our own) are already working in DITA. To be sure, there will be differences in an individual implementation, but the ability to file share between documentation groups is a HUGE plus. How many of us have spent hours converting between applications, either through filters (that leak) or good old cut-and-paste?  I eagerly anticipate the day when moving between different source documents isn’t so painful.

                  We are also getting into more international markets, as our customers broaden their reach in Europe and Asia . So while translation costs haven’t been a factor for us yet, it’s only a matter of time. You can perhaps expect technicians in Europe to have a decent grasp of English, but in Singapore … you just don’t know.  Sooner or later, translation will be required by a contract, and then the mad scramble will start.

                  The video conferencing idea sounds great. However, I absolutely ADORE Austin (and hope to move to the Hill Country after our kids get through school). Don’t be surprised if I make it in person one of these days :-)  I’m a live music fanatic.

                  Rebecca