Rectifier problems

  • mariamobley167
    Message 1 of 47 , Jun 17, 2017

      Hi I am new to this site Dave.

      I have a 1972 ct90k4 ,the rectifier is getting real hot. I put one rs rectifier in lasted about 2 months. when I ran the bike one night and it stopped charging tested rectifier was bad. I got a new rectifier put cooling fins on this one and made sure it was grounded it really gets hot just when you turn head light on. I checked the stator output yellow 3.80 dc, white 3.80 dc, pink 3.80 dc. idol. Bike at about 2000rpm yellow 4.12 dc, white 4.12 dc, pink 4.12 dc. I put a new yusa battery in fully charged. rectifier output to battery idol 7.45 dc, 2000rpm 7.89 dc. I cleaned all wire terminals and made sure all connections are tight. The head light is a new Stanley 6v and a new 6v Honda tail light bulb. This bike has been sitting for about 15 years in a barn out of the weather, a friend gave it to me he had never messed with the bike. I am not all that good with electrical. any ideas or suggestions or help would really be appreciated.

    • Scott Wenzel
      Message 47 of 47 , Jul 1, 2017
        6000, not bad IF it didn't get hot and seize a piston in its earlier life.
        Turtle

        Your Friends Know All About Your Enormous Purple Cow