9403fiction chapbook contest: Ropewalk Press

    Jul 2, 2014
      DEADLINE: AUG. 1, 2014 (postmark)
      Just one month remains in the RopeWalk Press Editor's Fiction Chapbook Prize. The winner receives $1,000 cash, publication, 25 copies, and an author's discount on addl. copies. Every manuscript is considered for publication and, as a result, several contest cycles have seen multiple chapbooks published that year.
      Truly great stories can stand on their own. That’s why RWP made the choice long ago to publish only fiction chapbooks.
      With chapbooks ranging in length from 10 to 46 pages—one single story to a handful of them, or scads of short-shorts to a slim novella, RopeWalk insists that fine/playful drama, stunning plot, fresh voice, and energetic diction need not come between the covers of a “full-length” book in order to be diabolically-yummy and given the publisher’s full attention. We publish chapbooks as aesthetically gorgeous/refined (if not more) as any big N.Y. publisher’s. We give each of our titles our full attention and present our chapbooks and authors in Poets & Writers Magazine, the annual AWP Conference & Bookfair, social media and the RopeWalk Press website, and in many other venues.
      Please take a look at the fiction chapbooks of our last four years (when I took over the press and redefined it as solely a fiction publisher) and if you like the idea of your work being among them and you have a stellar trio of stories, a killer single story you envision carrying its own covers, or a bunch of fantastic little-bitty stories and/or shorts, the RopeWalk Press Editor’s Fiction Chapbook Contest is perfect for you!
      POSTMARK / UPLOAD DEADLINE: Aug. 1, 2014
      ENTRY FEE: $20 per manuscript. Up to 5 additional manuscripts may be submitted at the same time at $5 apiece. There is no limit to the number of submissions.
      MANUSCRIPT: Each manuscript may be of a single short story, multiple short stories (themed overtly, covertly, or not at all), novellas, or stand-along novel excerpts. Each of these kinds of fiction modes has won the prize; there is no preference for any one mode.
      PAGE LIMIT: Up to 45 pages (double-spaced) per manuscript.
      FORMAT: Author's name, address, email, and phone should appear only on a cover sheet, not on manuscript pages. ~ Include title and page number on all pages. If the manuscript includes more than one short story, include a table of contents. ~ Include an acknowledgments page listing previous publication of included works, if applicable.
      JUDGING: This contest is called an editor's prize because the press's editor is the sole judge of the contest. Each entry is read by the editor. Semi-finalists, finalists, and the prize winner or winners are all selected by the editor of the press.
      ELIGIBILITY: Stories, novellas, or stand-alone excerpts published individually in journals or magazines may be submitted, but the writer must hold copyright. Previously self-published chapbooks and translations are not eligible. Your manuscript must be available for exclusive book-length publication by RopeWalk Press. ~ Multiple and simultaneous submissions are welcome, however, please pull your manuscript if it is accepted for publication or prize during the course of the RopeWalk Press contest.
      * ONLINE at http://ropewalk.org/
      * USPS MAIL to:
      Nicole Louise Reid, Editor
      RopeWalk Press
      8600 University Blvd.
      Evansville, IN 47712
      Contact the editor, at NReid
      edu with any questions at all. Best of luck!
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic