Event Report _Badger Trail's Devil's Lake Hike

  • Glenn BSA_LDR
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2007
      Event Report _Badger Trail's Devil's Lake Hike
      See www.Badgertrails.org

      This was a wonderful event. The Badger Trails group books almost the entire park. This event draws some 4000 people from Boy/Girl Scouts, Venturing, and other youth groups.

      The day program focus was on hiking the Devil's Lake area. Many units also set up their own advancement programs (environmental, hiking, etc). In the evening, there were two dances. One for the Middle School (about 800 kids) and a dance for the High School age (about 700). The dances had the full light-show treatment, and it appeared that they were about even in male/female ratio. The Middle school dance sounded "rockin'), and I know our High Schoolers enjoyed their dance.

      I had both a Boy Scout Troop, and a Venturing Crew. OUR Troop rule was that only the >14 & Star Boy Scouts went to the dance. This gave a carrot for the younger scouts to advance. Several Boy Scouts mentioned that they WILL be Star by next year, so they can go to the dance..... looks like the carrot is working.
      In any case, our Troop & Crew both have asked to go again next year; and that is the best recommendation I can give for this event.

      YIS,
      Glenn