CR Surf Report for 4-4-03

  • crsurf
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5 3:44 PM
      Costa Rica's Weekly Surf Report
      Volume 6, Issue 188
      April 4, 2003

      Brought to you each Friday evening by local surf businesses
      throughout Costa Rica. See http://www.crsurf.com/links.html for
      pics., forecast links, and tide charts.

      The last Costa Rica National Circuit contest will be in Dominical on
      April 19th-20th. Check the website www.surfingcr.com for points
      leaders and signup info.

      Send me a note if you are interested in working on a Costa Rican
      chapter of the Surfrider Foundation - Protecting the World's Oceans,
      Waves, and Beaches.

      Have a question? We have answers! Send a note to info@...
      before your next trip to get the info on waves, boards, and places to
      stay.

      TIDES *for Friday - add 50 min. each day after
      Full Moon - April 16th

      High Tide - 8.84 ft. at 4:43 PM
      Low Tide - 1.69 ft. at 10:27 AM

      NATIONAL FORECAST

      Pacific - Surf still head high to overhead and will descrease
      slightly over the weekend. On Monday, another SW swell arrives to
      push in surf overhead to 2 foot overhead at best spots in all parts
      of the country. Drops a foot on Tuesday and two more Wednesday,
      leaving only a few head high sets until next weekend. The next macker
      arrives April 16th, with the full moon and 11 foot tidal swings.

      Caribbean - Surf is waist high with a few nicer sets maybe once an
      hour. Will pick up Sunday and one might catch an overhead set every
      15 minutes by Monday morning. Will stay good until Wednesday.

      SPONSORS by Area

      Hotel Las Tortugas (653-0423)
      in Playa Grande
      surfegg@...

      Witches Rock Surf Camp (670-1138)
      in Tamarindo and Playas del Coco
      reservations@...

      Diana Zimmerman
      Private Surf Instructor
      disurfin@...

      Tropico Latino Lodge (640-0062
      in Santa Teresa
      troplat@...

      Chosita del Surf (643-1308,
      fax 643-3328) in Jaco
      chuck@...

      Fuego del Sol Hotel (643-2078
      in Playa Hermosa
      solsurf@...

      Escuela D'Amore (777-1143)
      in Manuel Antonio
      damore@...

      South Coast Realty (787-0005,
      fax: 787-0006) in Dominical
      info@...

      Adventure Education Center (787-0023)
      in Dominical
      *tell em crsurf sent ya aecdominical@...

      Hotel Diuwak (787-0087
      fax 787-0089) in Dominical
      diuwak@...

      Villas Rio Mar (787-0052
      fax 787-0054) in Playa Dominical
      info@...

      Third World Productions (643-1064)
      Surf Camp, Trips, & Photography
      thirdworldproductionscr@...

      Century 21 (787-0138 /
      fax: 787-0139) in Dominical
      bill@...

      Roca Verde Hotel (787-0036
      fax 787-0013) in Dominical
      info@...

      Cabinas Casa Verde (750-0015
      fax 750-0047) in Puerto Viejo
      info@...

      Tico Travel - Surf Trips
      (1-800-493-8426)
      info@...

      Coldwell Banker / Dominical Realty (787-0116) in Dominical
      daveed@...

      Hotel Cariblue (750-0057)
      in Cocles (Puerto Viejo)
      cariblue@...

      AREA REPORTS

      NICOYA (N)

      ** From Carrie and Louis at Hotel Las Tortugas in Playa Grande -

      AREA WAVE HEIGHTS AND CONDITIONS - Tamano de las olas y condiciones:
      BIG SURF, BIG OFF SHORES. It is somewhat raw and squared off, with an
      occassional beauty for the patient.

      WHAT TO EXPECT THIS WEEKEND (weather and waves) - Que va a pasar este
      fin de semana (clima y olas):
      We are hoping that it will drop down to a more manageable size and
      clean up. The tides are excellent for the up coming week and will set
      the stage for possible great surf.

      BEST PLACE TO SURF THIS WEEKEND IN YOUR AREA - El mejor lugar a
      surfear este fin de semana en su area:
      Although the experienced, and pro surfers, are killing it out front,
      we have been slipping down to the Tamarindo Estero for medium to high
      tide for a more organized situation.

      ** From Diana, the best surf maestra in Tamarindo -

      AREA WAVE HEIGHTS AND CONDITIONS - Tamano de las olas y condiciones:
      Incredible off-shore winds like we usually see only in January and
      February blew in on Monday, the same day as we began to see signs of
      the swell. Finally, the wind is calming to a managable pace and we
      still have lots of south swell. Waves are head high and over all
      throughout Tamarindo and Langosta. Vientos off-shore increibles como
      los que tenemos normalmente en enero o febrero empezaron el lunes, el
      mismo dia que empezamos a ver senas del swell. Por fin el viento se
      esta calmando a una velocidad decente y todavia tenemos bastante
      swell del sur. Las olas estan de a la cabeza y mas en todo Tamarindo
      y Langosta.

      WHAT TO EXPECT THIS WEEKEND (weather and waves) - Que va a pasar este
      fin de semana (clima y olas):
      We should have good waves at least going into the weekend, expecially
      in the morning when we can generally count on the wind to be
      friendly. Even as the swell passes, we should have 4-5 foot surf for
      a few days. Debemos tener buenas olas por lo menos al comienzo del
      fin de semana, especialmente en la manana cuando podemos contar con
      vientos agradables. Aun cuando vaya pasando el swell, debemos tener
      olas de 4 0 5 pies por unos dias.

      BEST PLACE TO SURF THIS WEEKEND IN YOUR AREA - El mejor lugar a
      surfear este fin de semana en su area:
      You can't go wrong. Any place in the bay is great, but watch for
      currents, especially on the outgoing tide! No te puedes equivocar.
      Cualquier lugar en la bahia esta buena, pero ojo con los corrientes,
      especialmente cuando la marea se esta bajando!

      ** From Joe at Witches Rock Surf Camp in Tamarindo -

      AREA WAVE HEIGHTS AND CONDITIONS -
      In case you hadn't heard, the NW coast has been SLAMMED with the
      biggest swell this year to date. Wave faces maxed out at 18-20ft at
      Witch's Rock on Tuesday April 2nd, now it has dropped to 10-14ft face
      waves with nice offshores. No, you probably wouldn't have been
      surfing Witch's this week, Ollie's yes, Witch's insane.

      WHAT TO EXPECT THIS WEEKEND (weather and waves) -
      As this swell subsides, a new one starts to build Sunday/Monday with
      double overhead + potential. I am so freaking glad the south swell
      season is back...

      BEST PLACE TO SURF THIS WEEKEND IN YOUR AREA -
      Witch's and Ollie's, with your spring suit as the offshores have just
      made it freezing (upper 60s)

      NEWS AND UPCOMING EVENTS-
      Tamarindo lifeguards no longer have any financial support and are
      forced to quit! Wouldn't it be nice if many of the local Tamarindo
      businesses would kick in to help support our lifeguards (as they save
      tourists' lives, which equals more tourists alive and supporting your
      businesses) In an attempt to stop this, WRSC is offering to pay IN
      FULL FOR ALL LIFEGUARDS TO WORK TAMARINDO BEACH. If any other
      businesseswant to join, please do. If not, well, I guess you can do
      this too.

      PS- greg, our photographer shot this one tuesday. a little closed on
      this set, definitely shows up aaron chang you think? This was triple
      overhead, thats probably why.joe

      ** From Marco at Tropico Latino Lodge in Santa Teresa (Mal Pais)

      Entro' la swell! Es grande y parece que tenga que crecer...El viento
      es tambien muy fuerte,offshore todo el dia. El lugar mejor para
      surfiar,roca mar en santa tersa,toda la manana. Ahora me voy a
      chequear pedra mar en mal pais!

      JACO & HERMOSA

      ** From Tommy at Fuego del Sol in Playa Hermosa -

      Thursday, April 3, 2003 6:25AM Local Climate: Sunny, Air Temp:
      91f.with Shade, 103f. with Sun Water Temp: 87f, Wave Height &
      Direction: SW 4-6 ft. (back of the wave) Sea Surface: Glassy. Wind:
      West, 0-5 mph Sunrise: 5:43AM Sunset: 5:50 PM High Tide: 04:10 PM /
      8.92 ft Low Tide: 09:54 AM / 0.20 ft Current Conditions The East Bowl
      is on Fire!!!! We got the Video to prove it (not just fake photos) We
      checked Hermosa and it sucked. We're glad to be back at Secrets
      surfing solid sixers, we will be back at the Ranch for High Tide and
      real waves, PURA VIDA!!!! Costa Rica Extended Forecast. We should see
      a solid 6-8 feet with 10 foot plus sets in those exposed spots It
      Fades out by Friday. Get your plane ticket a reserve a spot today!

      ** From Chuck at Chosita del Surf Shop in Jaco -

      AREA WAVE HEIGHTS AND CONDITIONS - Tamano de las olas y condiciones:
      Still pretty big in Jaco today and of course closed out , reports
      flooding in of waves everywhere and some talk of a few double
      overhead sets at Tulin !

      WHAT TO EXPECT THIS WEEKEND (weather and waves) - Que va a pasar este
      fin de semana (clima y olas):
      Swell drops a bit and maybe even gets back to beachbreak for the
      masses.

      BEST PLACE TO SURF THIS WEEKEND IN YOUR AREA - El mejor lugar a
      surfear este fin de semana en su area:
      Maybe right out front with the early a.m. hightide .

      NEWS AND UPCOMING EVENTS- Noticias y dias especiales:
      Nite contest at Terraza tonite , new Merricks and T+C arrived last
      Friday , the new 2003 K-BOARD is unreal. Also a fresh batch of
      Bodyboards with a new BZ KM program in the batch!

      QUEPOS & MANUEL ANTONIO
      DOMINICAL & SOUTHERN PACIFIC
      CARIBBEAN

      see the national report above