Re: Scadbury Archaeology Open Day - next weekend

  • thipnewman
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 10, 2009
      Dear Edmund,

      Your email was not so much a victim of Yahoo anti-spam but of Yahoo! groups potential spam. Any messages thus marked are held for approval by the moderator, i.e. me - and I very rarely check the group unless something is flagged for my attention, which this wasn't. I only found out about it by chance.

      Edmund, I am sorry if I was not able to get your message posted in time. I see this has caused distress to you and would like to assure you that no malicious intent was intended.

      Obviously, I should check for similar emails more often from now on and not wait for any messgae from Yahoo.

      With Best Wishes

      Paul

      --- In croydoncrows@yahoogroups.com, Edmund Meadows <edmundmeadows@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > As my first email did not get through, I assume it fell foul of Yahoo
      > anti spamming. A certain organisation has been using my name in
      > vain, without my permission and knowledge, to spam social drugs. I
      > have been receiving bounced emails from ISPs for email addresses which
      > no longer exist. The organisation can not be named as the law is there
      > to protect the guilty. Thus my email address has been added to the
      > spam list.
      >
      > Next weekend are the open days for the Orpington and District
      > Archaeological Society open days (September 12/13th 2009) for viewing
      > the remains of the Scadbury moated manor at Chislehurst, Bromley.
      > This is open from 2.00 to 4.30 pm both days.
      >
      > There are few chances to see a working archaeological site within the
      > M25. For further details see the ODAS website.
      >
      > Scadbury was the country pad of Sir Thomas Walsingham, the favourite
      > wine merchant of Queen Elizabeth. It is also the birthplace of Sir
      > Francis Walsingham, Queen Elizabeth's spy master general. The warrant
      > for the arrest Marlow the playwright (aka Marley and a few other names)
      > was raised at Scadbury in 1593.
      >
      > The site is within Scadbury Nature Reserve. Neither the LB Bromley
      > nor ODAS will take any responsibility for the results of anyone picking
      > the wild fungi which start to appear this time of Year. Also
      > Elizabethan brickwork was not built to British Standard and is now
      > highly suspect.
      >
      > There is another site in London which is also open all year. This is
      > the foreshore of the River Thames. No digging is allowed, as the
      > Thames does that for you. See the thethamesdiscovery website to join
      > the mudlarks.
      >
      > Edmund.
      >

      > Orpington and District Archaeological Society
      >

      > Scadbury Moated Manor (Chislehurst) - Open Weekend
      >
      > Saturday and Sunday 12th and 13th September 2009 from 2 - 4:30
      >
      > * Excavations in progress
      > * Ruined remains of medieval manor house
      > * Bookstall & refreshments
      >
      > Self-guided tours of excavations from 2 pm to 4:30 pm
      >
      > No need to book in advance - just come on the day
      >
      > The tours start at the point where the estate circular footpath in
      > Scadbury Nature Reserve passes the moated site.
      >

      > Map of Scadbury
      >

      > The nearest access from the road is via the footpath between 12 & 14 St
      > Paul's Wood Hill, turning left along the circular footpath (5 mins
      > walk). This entrance is not suitable for disabled access - use the Perry
      > Street entrance. The footpath can be uneven and muddy in wet weather.
      > The main entrance to Scadbury Park is in Old Perry Street (with parking).
      >
      > There is an entrance in Perry Street itself - this is a 20 mins walk to
      > the site.
      >
      > Some parking is available for elderly or disabled people -* use the
      > Perry Street entrance for disabled vehicle access*. (Single track
      > farm road with plenty of potholes and few passing places - Edmund.)

    • Emilia Lorusso
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 14, 2009
        Thank you for this Edmund.
        I went and took a friend along and my daughter too.  We had a great time and it was so special to find out about it, we're so near and never new of it!!!  The escavation site was good, but we loved the wood.
        Bright Blessings,
        Emilia

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2009
          Dear Emilia,

          Thank you for the email.

          May I recommend to you -

          <www.odas.org.uk>Orpington and District Archaeological Society. Monthly meetings in Orpington Priory (Museum). ODAS promotes the study of archaeology in the Upper Cray Valley by undertaking excavations, carrying out research into the archaeology of the area and encouraging public interest through meetings and visits.
          8 pm at the Priory on the first Wednesday of the month.

          <www.orpingtonfieldclub.org.uk>   Investigation of the natural history of North and West Kent, particularly in Bromley & Orpington. Knowledge gained is available to all wildlife bodies.
          7.30 pm on the second Friday at the Priory.

          Kind regards - Edmund.