spams on the croydon list

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
      Hi all,

      I was thinking..that croydon crows list often gets stary spammers posting.. Not so much for the other lists!     I wonder why this is?

      Also wondering about initiall memberships to the group..   (Paul, is it automatic? or do you aprove each application?)    The other lists have moderator aproving each applicant, and they have to write a piece to Moderator ..saying something about themselves (PF London Events list that I moderate)..   Perahsp we need to put in such a measure?

      Am worried about spammes harvesting our e-mails throughg this list..

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
        Hi,

        Well, spammers are a problem. Usually I delete them just as soon as a
        spam message comes up. (I have just deleted the last spammer).

        Membership is automatic just because it seemed the best thing to do
        when I set up the group, and because I don't know how to moderate.
        Maybe I should. What does everone else think?

        Paul

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2008
          Hi Paul,

          given the nature of  pagan e-groups (ie people's privacy etc) , I'd say moderating/ screening  the initial joining is essential.   Otherwise, anyone will join in, get allour ID's/ e-mails and ..by the time we delete them, security is already breached..

          There's a way to set these .. I need to refresh my mind.. I'll double check abd mail you off list with step by step process..

          After that, every new member (poetntial) will send a request that comes to list-owner/ moderators  (you..)   You could also set it so they have to write a few sentences about themselves and why they want to join the list  .. Then you check it and  authorise it..  (very simple.. done with one e-mail.. I'll tell you about it..)