      From: Edmund Meadows <edmundmeadows@...>
      Subject: [croydoncrows] Scadbury Archaeology Open Day - next weekend
      To: croydoncrows@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, 9 September, 2009, 6:52 PM

      Hi,

      As my first email did not get through, I assume it fell foul of Yahoo anti spamming.    A certain organisation has been using my name in vain,  without my permission and knowledge, to spam social drugs.    I have been receiving bounced emails from ISPs for email addresses which no longer exist.   The organisation can not be named as the law is there to protect the guilty.     Thus my email address has been added to the spam list.

      Next weekend are the open days for the Orpington and District Archaeological Society open days (September 12/13th 2009) for viewing the remains of the Scadbury moated manor at Chislehurst, Bromley.    This is open from 2.00 to 4.30 pm both days.

      There are few chances to see a working archaeological site within the M25.    For further details see the ODAS website.

      Scadbury was the country pad of Sir Thomas Walsingham, the favourite wine merchant of Queen Elizabeth.    It is also the birthplace of Sir Francis Walsingham, Queen Elizabeth's spy master general.    The warrant for the arrest Marlow the playwright (aka Marley and a few other names) was raised at Scadbury in 1593.

      The site is within Scadbury Nature Reserve.    Neither the LB Bromley nor ODAS will take any responsibility for the results of anyone picking the wild fungi which start to appear this time of Year.     Also Elizabethan brickwork was not built to British Standard and is now highly suspect.

      There is another site in London which is also open all year.    This is the foreshore of the River Thames.    No digging is allowed, as the Thames does that for you.    See the thethamesdiscovery website to join the mudlarks.

      Edmund.

      Orpington and District Archaeological Society

      Scadbury Moated Manor (Chislehurst) - Open Weekend

      Saturday and Sunday 12th and 13th September 2009 from 2 - 4:30
      • Excavations in progress
      • Ruined remains of medieval manor house
      • Bookstall & refreshments
      Self-guided tours of excavations from 2 pm to 4:30 pm
      No need to book in advance - just come on the day
      The tours start at the point where the estate circular footpath in Scadbury Nature Reserve passes the moated site.

      Map of Scadbury

      The nearest access from the road is via the footpath between 12 & 14 St Paul's Wood Hill, turning left along the circular footpath (5 mins walk). This entrance is not suitable for disabled access - use the Perry Street entrance. The footpath can be uneven and muddy in wet weather. The main entrance to Scadbury Park is in Old Perry Street (with parking).
      There is an entrance in Perry Street itself - this is a 20 mins walk to the site.
      Some parking is available for elderly or disabled people - use the Perry Street entrance for disabled vehicle access.    (Single track farm road with plenty of potholes and few passing places - Edmund.)

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic