Docetism

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 25, 2002
      At 01:50 PM 3/25/2002 -0600, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
      >Ron Price wrote:
      >
      > > Mark,
      > > Thanks for the prompt. It was an interesting programme.
      > > I've just one comment.
      > > You said "that he was buried" in 1Cor 15:4 might have been hinting at
      > > the empty tomb. I'm more inclined to think, following comments by
      > > J.Hering, that it was to combat docetist ideas. The empty tomb story
      > > reads to me like a creation of Mark written to support the affirmation
      > >
      > > of 1Cor 15:3-5.
      >
      >Can we really date Docetism as early as the 50s when 1 Cor was written?
      >Is there any evidence that this was something that was known to, or was
      >a particular problem within, the Pauline community at Corinth -- or in
      >any of Paul's other communities, for that matter?

      Well, I'd say it is a not unreasonable conjecture. J. Knox, writing in the
      old (1962) Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible, noted that the Prologue
      to John and the Johannine letters show signs of combatting docetism. And
      that "This kind of doctrine came very early to be regarded as heretical,"
      which I suppose must be a reference to Irenaeus. These are admittedly
      several generations later. But in the context of the popularity of
      Platonism in the Greek-speaking world, one might expect this idea of a
      divine figure, no?

      Of course, it is far to early for Docetism in the classic sense.