Re: [XTalk] Non-crosstalk... question of etiquette

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2002
      Bob Webb wrote:

      > I'm new to this group, and just wanted clarification on a couple of
      > etiquette matters on how this group functions (different groups appear
      > function differently).
      >
      > 1. If one is adding a new point to an ongoing discussion, do add your
      > own
      > comments at the top of the e-mail message or at the bottom?

      Usually at the bottom, since this allows others to see without seeking
      your message's context.

      > 2. Are there guidelines about when to snip/delete portions of previous
      >
      > discussion?

      Our protocols state that you should quote only as much of a message you
      are responding to as is necessary to give your message its proper
      context and/or to render what you are saying (or why you are saying what
      you are saying) intelligible. Just how much of a pervious message needs
      to be quoted for any of this to happen is, of course, a judgment call.
      But you can always cut and paste the URL of the message to which you are
      referring if you feel that the whole of that message is your context.
      In any case, it's wise -- if only for visual reasons -- to avoid
      retaining lots of a pervious message's text.

      Hope this helps.

      And is the Journal online yet? If so, where may we see it?

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)