Re: [XTalk] Jesus

  • LeeEdgarTyler@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23 5:19 AM
      In a message dated 3/22/2002 10:29:54 PM Central Standard Time,
      mwgrondin@... writes:

      > --- LeeEdgarTyler wrote:
      > > ... [XTalk] seems to have become more about what a few vociferous
      > > participants find objectionable about the personalities or
      > > politics of the fellows of the Jesus Seminar. I have never seen
      > > such a petty, spiteful, and irrelevant exercise in cheap sniping
      > > in an ostensibly professional forum in my life, and earnestly hope
      > > never to see another.
      >
      > Unfortunately, Ed, your "few vociferous participants" may be
      > misunderstood to include more folks than you intended. I had
      > to look back to check my recollection that there was only _one_
      > participant in the present debate with a rather obvious axe to
      > grind against the JSem.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Mike

      I sincerely hope it is not construed to paint the XTalk list with any sort of
      broad brushstroke. And even less would I want it construed as an objection
      to any critical review of any published scholarship.

      Insinuations and speculations toward personal integrity or motive, or toward
      professional competence, have no place in a scholarly forum. This is
      especially true when the issue at question permits a wide variety of
      legitimate conclusions (as is the case with a great many issues involving
      ancient texts.)

      best,

      Ed Tyler