The 'no signs' saying (was: Jesus the wonder worker)

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2002
      I wrote:

      >> ..... it is quite likely that Luke perused the text of Matthew in
      >> this particular case. In favour of this idea is the fact that I have
      >> allocated 'Unclean spirit' (Mt 12:43-45 // Lk 11:24-26) to xQ. In other
      >> words I have proposed that Luke copied this from Matthew. So Luke might
      >> well have had the codex of Matthew still open at the page including Mt
      >> 12:45 when penning Lk 11:29f., and this page could have included
      >> (*would* have included according to my page model for Matthew) the texts
      >> concerning Jonah and Solomon (Mt 12:41-42)!!
      >> So now I'm inclined to think this more likely than the memory
      >> explanation.

      Eric Eve replied:

      >Does that mean that you'd be prepared to assign Mt 12.41-42 to xQ? If Lk
      >copied these verses from Mt there'd be no need for them to be in your sQ,
      >would there?

      Eric,
      There would be no need for them to be in sQ if the shorter Mk 8:11-12
      preserves the original form. But I'm not yet convinced this short form
      was original. Any preacher, Jesus included, would be likely to have
      added an explanation to such a stark denial.
      At the moment I see the Jonah and Solomon texts as part of a 'no
      signs' saying which could well have been spoken by Jesus, and therefore
      an origin in sQ seems to me more likely than a belated appearance in
      print ca. 85 CE when Matthew was published. Of course if I were to be
      persuaded that these texts are unlikely to be authentic, or more
      crucially that they are characteristically Matthean (which is doubtful),
      then I would have to reconsider their sQ designation.

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...