New Testament and Early Christianity Maps

  • thomaskopecek
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2002
      My apologies for a question which is "background" for the topic of
      the list.

      But does anyone know of any decent on-line maps of the New
      Testament period (say, from Alexander the Great through 200
      CE) or, perhaps, through the fifth and sixth centuries? Or does
      anyone know whom I might contact for such?

      Failing these approaches, does anyone know of CDs for sale
      that have top-flight maps? I'd like to project them on a large
      screen in my courses in New Testament and Late Antique
      Christianity as need arises.

      Perhaps off-list responses would be appropriate unless the list
      owners think others might be interested.

      Tom

      ___
      Thomas A. Kopecek
      Professor of Religion and Greek Language
      Central College
      Pella, Iowa 50219
      kopecekt@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17, 2002
        At 05:36 PM 2/17/2002 +0000, thomaskopecek wrote:
        >My apologies for a question which is "background" for the topic of
        >the list.
        >
        >But does anyone know of any decent on-line maps of the New
        >Testament period (say, from Alexander the Great through 200
        >CE) or, perhaps, through the fifth and sixth centuries? Or does
        >anyone know whom I might contact for such?
        >
        >Failing these approaches, does anyone know of CDs for sale
        >that have top-flight maps? I'd like to project them on a large
        >screen in my courses in New Testament and Late Antique
        >Christianity as need arises.
        >
        >Perhaps off-list responses would be appropriate unless the list
        >owners think others might be interested.
        >
        >Tom

        Tom,
        Glad to see you're still on the line!

        Responders, please post ON-LIST if you have the information requested.
        Meanwhile, have you checked
        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~atlas/europe/maps.html ?

      • Mark Goodacre
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 17, 2002
          On 17 Feb 2002 at 17:36, thomaskopecek wrote:

          > My apologies for a question which is "background" for the topic of the
          > list.
          >
          > But does anyone know of any decent on-line maps of the New
          > Testament period (say, from Alexander the Great through 200
          > CE) or, perhaps, through the fifth and sixth centuries? Or does
          > anyone know whom I might contact for such?

          Hi Tom; I have collected together some of the best on-line map
          resources for this period on a site called the New Testament Gateway;
          the map page is at:

          http://www.ntgateway.com/maps.htm

          All best
          Mark
          Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
          University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
          Birmingham B15 2TT UK

          http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
          http://NTGateway.com