Re: [XTalk] Re: Luke's knowledge of Matthew (was:"Infancy Narratives")

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2002
      On 13 Jan 2002 at 16:05, Rikki E. Watts wrote:

      [Mark Goodacre]
      > > I'd be sympathetic with most of your dates, though perhaps a bit
      > > late for Luke. But yes, I'd be broadly happy with Matthew in the
      > > 80s and Luke later. I think John knew the Synoptics and am not yet
      > > convinced that Luke knew John, but a good case is made for it in
      > > Mark Matson's recent book (SBL Dissertation series), and also in
      > > Barbara Shellard's forthcoming _New Light on Luke_ (Sheffield).
      > > Interesting that both also think Luke knew Matt. and Mark.
      > >
      > Mark, I¹m not familiar with either of these volumes but I wonder if
      > what we have here might also be interpreted as evidence of a much more
      > broadly based web of relatively common oral tradition?

      Having just replied to Rikk on another issue, I am reminded of this
      email sitting with many in my pending tray. But, yes, broadly I
      agree with you. I've read both Shellard and Matson and neither have
      yet convinced me of Luke's literary dependence on John. I think
      Lucan knowledge of Johannine traditions is a live possibility. But
      Matson and Shellard both make very interesting cases and are worth
      consulting.

      Mark

      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
      Birmingham B15 2TT UK

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com