Re: [XTalk] Luke's knowledge of Matthew

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 24, 2002
      Dear Mahlon,
      Thanks for your kind response. The Festschrift is in the series Supplements to
      N.T. vol XXIV, Brill 1970. It should not be too difficult. In 1970 most
      theological seminaries still had funds to subscribe to Novum Testamentum.
      Unfortunately, I donot have the article on a floppy - it was written in the
      pre-cumputer age. In the article the name Nathanael - conspicuously absent in the
      Synoptics - is Hebrew for 'God has given'. Its Aramaic parallel is Matthew:
      mattai, mattaia - 'gift of JHWH'
      John 1,45 offers a fair characterization of the Gospel of Matthew, "We have found
      him of whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth, the
      son of Joseph." In Mt Jesus is portyrayed as the new Moses,; the autjhor
      repeatedly introduces his quotations from Tenakh with the formula, "This was to
      fulfill what JHWH has spoken by the prophets". Mt's concern is to make clear why
      trhe Messiah came from Nazareth. Finally, Matthew's genealogy and the opening
      chapters focus on Joseph, while Luke centers on Mary etc etc. Similarly I argue
      that in 1,040-42 may well refer to Mark, although this is by no means obvious. The
      reading 'proton' in vs 41 probablky refers to Peter. In the following three
      chapters 2- 4, Jesus itinerary follows the order of Acts 1,8, as Miss A. Guilding
      observed : Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, end of the earth, if the healing of the
      'royal official' official's son indeed refers to the Roman centurion. (Normal
      Greek doesnot have a word for Emperor. basileus could mean king or emperor;
      kaisar was word borrowed from the Latin, as van Unnik made clear long ago. Good
      luck, in finding the article. No one has responded to the article as yet, except
      Kuemmel, who was addicted to Kittel's Woerterbuch.

      your Karel

      .