Judaea and Galilee

  • Sakari Häkkinen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2002
      Referring to my earlier post and the thread discussed there I would like
      point out a verse that just pomped out from the text: Luke 4:44 "he kept on
      preaching in the synagogues of Judea." Why Judea, although Jesus is in Lukan
      context clearly preaching in Galilee? Some manuscripts read *Galilee* here
      correcting thus Lukan geography. It looks like Luke means by Judea all the
      area inhabited by Jews. Writing from Galilee somewhere far outside Palestine
      it is understandable that he uses Judea for all the country of the Jews.
      This implicates that there perhaps was not such a sharp distinction between
      Galileans and Judeans as some scholars have thought. Do we have other
      evidence that Galilee was thought to be part of Judea? I remember there is
      one in Eusebius when he wrote on "Nazareth and other Judean villages" or
      something like that in Church History, but this is quite late.

      Dr. Sakari Häkkinen
      Diocesan secretary
      Diocese of Kuopio, Finland
      sakari.hakkinen@...