How stories get started...

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2002
      Recently, we discussed Bailey's use of a story about a wedding, at which
      the groom was accidently shot (I have temporarily misplaced the story, or
      I'd quote it.) It was said that the community, rather than telling the
      police that "Mr. X shot Mr. Y," first formulated a version that "Mr. X held
      a rifle. He lowered it. It discharged, killing Mr. Y," the intent evidently
      being to exonerate Mr. X.

      Tonight while watching CNN, a headline bar scrolled across the bottom of
      the screen to the effect that a child picked up his father's loaded gun--
      and then that "it" fired, killing his father, the intent evidently being to
      avoid blaming the child for shooting his father.

      Hmmm.

      [But USA Today is not so delicate:
      >Rookie cop killed by 3-year-old
      >Officer's son grabbed gun from kitchen table and shot his father.
      The link is supposed to be
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002/01/04/policeman-killed.htm
      but I get a loading error when I try to go there. I can't find a link on
      CNN.com for this story.]