online (animated) maps of the empires of Alexander and his successors

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2002
      With apologies for cross posting:

      Is there online anywhere maps -- and in particular, a series of maps --
      which show in chronological sequence the territories conquered, ruled
      over by, and then lost to Alexander and his successors, particularly the
      Ptolemys and the Selucids?

      I'd also be very interested in knowing if there are similar maps which
      demonstrate the expansion of Roman power from the Hellenistic age until
      the time of Diocletian and Constantine.

      Ideally, I'd like to see something that is animated -- that is to say,
      something that is not just a series of maps, but which, like a movie,
      has moving boundary lines. In other words, I'm seeking something which
      is an animated version of the Penguin Atlas of the Ancient World.

      Hoping I'm not to vague, I give thanks in advance for any suggestions of
      where to look for all of this.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson

      --