Re: [XTalk] MAQHTHS (was: John 2:1-4:54)

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
      "David C. Hindley" wrote:

      > Jim Bacon replied:
      >
      > >>By Meier's count, the term *mathetes* occurs 261 times in
      > Gospels/Acts and only 12 times in the corpus of the
      > "Apostolic Fathers," nine of which occur in the writings of
      > Ignatius. I could find no reference in Meier's footnotes to
      > the Letter to Diognetus. He doesn't address the
      > post-Apostolic Fathers literature.<<
      >
      > Well ... I may just have to break down and secure a copy of
      > a Greek concordance of the Apostolic Fathers. None of the
      > translations of these works in my possession seems to have
      > the word "disciple" indexed, nor are there Greek word
      > indices.
      >
      > If Meier is true to form, the answer to the question of
      > whether Diognetus includes one or more of those 3 occasions
      > of use of the word MAQHTHS (spelled right this time) not in
      > Ignatius is probably buried in one of those references in
      > the notes.

      I have just uploaded a TLG D Disk search of all instances of MAQHTH
      (using MAQHT as my search term) from the 3rd cent. BCE through the
      second century CE (excluding the instances in Galen, Origen, and the
      Ecumenical Councils) to our files section.

      It may be accessed at

      The Greek text is in beta code. To transform it to Greek, you will need
      to have SGreek in your fonts file.

      I hope this helps, rather than hinders, the discussion.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)