Re: [XTalk] Parable Bibliography

  • Loren Rosson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2001
      Steve Black wrote:

      > I remember a while ago someone mentioning newer
      > approaches to parables that aren't as hostile to
      > allegorical tendencies...

      Steve,

      For up-to-date treatments of the parables, you should
      read the following:

      Herzog, William: Parables as Subversive Speech, 1994.
      (Resists both allegory and polyvalency -- even
      metaphor -- in arguing that the stories exposed evil
      by holding it up to light.)

      Hultgren, Arland: The Parables of Jesus, 2000. (A
      rather confessional approach to all 38 parables --
      treats some as allegories, some as Kingdom-stories,
      some as behavior models, etc.)

      Longenecker, Richard (editor): The Challenge of Jesus'
      Parables, 2000. (Gives the allegorical school of
      thought its fair due.)

      Scott, Bernard Brandon: Hear Then the Parable, 1989.
      (Metaphorical approach steeped in the tradition of
      Funk and Crossan.)

      Shillington, George (editor): Jesus and His Parables,
      1998. (A few allegorical approaches, and others which
      engage Herzog's work.)

      Wenham, David: The Parables of Jesus, 1989.
      (Interprets the stories against the backdrop of the
      imminent Kingdom. Metaphor and allegory can be found
      here.)

      And note that John Meier promises to give an account
      of the parables in volume 4 of the Anchor Bible's
      Marginal Jew series. (The theme of that volume will be
      "The Four Enigmas Jesus Posed and Was" -- (1) Jesus'
      teachings on the law, (2) his parables, (3) his
      various titles and self-designations, and (4) the
      riddle of his death.) Of course, we have a while to
      wait for this.

      Loren Rosson III
      Nashua NH
      rossoiii@...