[XTalk] Re: Luke's Greek

  • mgrondin@tir.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2001
      --- Frank McCoy wrote:
      > So, in The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth (p. 179), John
      > M. Allegro states, "For one of the titles of the Morning-star in
      > Hebrew is 'Pillar of the Dawn'. It was regarded with great awe by
      > the ancients and invested with miraculous powers. This is the
      > 'Day-spring from on high' which John the Baptist's father,
      > Zechariah, promised would 'give light to those who sit in
      > darkness and in the shadow of death.' (Luke 1:78-79)."

      As I recall, the so-called 'morning star' is the planet Venus. While
      it may have been considered a 'day-spring' (harbinger of the dawn,
      so to speak), it could hardly itself shed much light on "those who
      sit in darkness".

      As to the rest of your note, I'm confused that you now seem to be
      pulling back from the assertion that the Benedictus was influenced
      by Philo. If you are, thanks.

      Mike