Re: [XTalk] Matthew 18:23-35//Luke 16:1-8: a common oral tradition? An Oral Q?

  • Henry Carrigan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2001
      I will be away from the office until October 1. I will respond to your messages upon my return. Thank you.
      Henry Carrigan
    • Loren Rosson
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2001
        Bob Schacht wrote:

        >Suppose at the punchline level, the moral of
        >the story was, "Show mercy, and you will receive
        >mercy; but if you demand justice, that is what you
        >will get." Both stories could be generated from
        >this same principle.

        The punchline of The Shrewd Manager seems more like,
        "Show mercy and you will come out ahead". The master
        reinstates his manager neither out of charity nor
        mercy (on the contrary, he **praises** the manager for
        his shrewd tactic), but rather because the manager
        made him look good. Your punchline does apply to The
        Unmerciful Servant -- at least, as it stands in its
        Matthean context. Originally, that story's punchline
        may have been a bit more complex.

        >I am suggesting that the common core was a
        >teaching on Mercy vs. Justice.

        "Mercy" figures into The Shrewd Manager only when the
        manager forgives part of the bills owed by the
        debtors. He may have done this out of
        self-preservation as much as charity.

        >...unfortunately for my thesis, Luke does not end
        >with a conclusion about mercy, but with a conclusion
        >about shrewdness (phronimos). And we cannot claim
        that
        >shrewdness is one of Luke's editorial propensities...

        Exactly.

        Loren Rosson III
        Nashua NH
        rossoiii@...

        http://phone.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2001
          At 04:06 AM 10/1/01 -0700, you wrote:
          >Bob Schacht wrote:
          >
          > >Suppose at the punchline level, the moral of
          > >the story was, "Show mercy, and you will receive
          > >mercy; but if you demand justice, that is what you
          > >will get." Both stories could be generated from
          > >this same principle.
          >
          >The punchline of The Shrewd Manager seems more like,
          >"Show mercy and you will come out ahead". ...

          Loren,
          We're talking past each other, because I'm arguing from a Q-like
          hypothetical source document that might lie behind the Matthean and Lukan
          texts, whereas you are arguing only from the Lukan text.

          I don't think I have much chance of convincing anyone about that, though,
          and my case is based more on whimsy than solid evidence, so I won't pursue
          it further, unless I receive some additional source of inspiration. :-)