Re: [Xtalk] Ps 69

  • The Paulsen Family
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2001
      >i'm simply pondering aloud. in the gospel of john when jesus cleanses the
      >temple the 69th psalm is quoted by the author as reason. it seems that the
      >context and content of the psalm, a prayer of lament for personal sin which is
      >then corrected by a renewed zeal for the temple, is attirbuted to jesus by the
      >quotation.

      >we know from mark that jesus' family thought him mad and attempted on at least
      >one occassion to drag him away from a sermon.

      >my query, then, has to do with the possibility that jesus did in fact alienate
      >his family (which the psalm alludes to) and as an act of penance (which the
      >psalm also alludes to) he went to the temple and cleansed it.

      >this act of cleansing was intended by jesus to make up for the alienation from
      >his family. acts of penance are done in order to set things right- so jesus
      >sets things right by recommitting himself to god... he changes paths and as a
      >result sets in motion his own death (quite inadvertently).

      Fair enough but:

      1- We have to be careful extrapolating from the disciple's use of one short sentence out of entire Psalm to the application of the rest of that Psalm to the situation (after all, Jesus hardly followed the Psalmist's request for God to take revenge against his enemies Ps 69:22-28)

      2- We also have to consider Jesus' use of Jeremiah [7:11] and Isaiah [56:7] (recorded in the synoptics)in this act.

      3- If he was pursuing his ministry when his family tried to intervene (Mk 3), why would he, as an act of penitence, do something even more radical and audacious [his actions in the temple]? Would he not more likely demonstrate a change of mind [repentance] by going back to his family, or submitting to the Jewish authorities, or calming down his public activity?

      4- Although I could just be missing it, I don't see Psalm 69 the same way you are presenting it. The Psalmist's "zeal for your house" does not appear to be a result of his regret over his alienation from his family; rather it seems to be the cause of the alienation (which is certainly more in line with Mark's account of Jesus' family wanting to intervene in his ministry).

      5- I also don't find where the Palmist's repentance leads him to a "cleansing of the house of God" as you said in your original posting.

      6- Finally, as to this action leading "inadvertently" to Jesus' death: To take this approach one must totally discount the many sayings of Jesus to his disciples where he warned them about his upcoming death in Jerusalem. Of course, we can say that he didn't actually make these comments, but that's a little too easy, isn't it?

      I apologize for the length of this reply but your post brought up several points.

      Thanks for the discussion

      Patrick Paulsen
      Toronto Ontario