Re: [XTalk] The Shrewd Manager

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2001
      To all,

      Loren Rosson wrote:

      Jesus may have been
      > suggesting how weapons of the weak could produce
      > favorable results in a world dominated by a small
      > percentage of elites.

      Shrewdness and wisdom can be opposites. The "shrewd" ways of
      manipulators of the Imperial economy may indeed bring "improved"
      circumstances in that matrix of power and oppression, but wisdom and
      justice lay in an apparently foolish alternative. Some parables of
      Jesus simply lampoon the ordinary.

      > I think this is beside the point. All parties --
      > master, manager, debtors -- are operating out of
      > self-interest and survival. Seeing mercy or
      > forgiveness as the key to the story does not address
      > the glaring problem: A man praises (not forgives)
      > someone for backbiting him.

      Mercy lies elsewhere, entirely. Wisdom and justice were being shared in
      "alternate economy and rule." "Fools" they were by "the standards;)!"
      of the storied operations of shrewdness of this parable. Precisely!

      Gordon Raynal
      Inman, SC